I almost killed my chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joanm, May 18, 2008.

  1. joanm

    joanm Songster

    May 13, 2007
    And burned down my house! My six new chicks are in a large plastic tube off the kitchen on a table – I needed the table to give the dogs their summer haircuts – so I moved the chicks into the office and shut the door - we have a cat. I was thirsty so I went inside and immediately smelled something burning. I first thought if was the clippers (I was using an extension cord plugged inside the house) Sis and I were running around trying to find the source when she opened the office door and started screaming! The lamp was face down in the tub and had melted through and burned a large hole in the carpet – the chicks were huddled in the opposite corner – thank goodness they were not hurt! I was so upset and shaking – If we would have left for the day…
  2. lilcountry

    lilcountry Songster

    Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    Man! That was close good thing you found it! Sorry about the carpet! I noticed how hot the lamps can get too.
  3. bangor777

    bangor777 Songster

    May 4, 2008
    How scary!!! I worry about that all the time. I'm glad everyone's ok!
  4. gumpsgirl

    gumpsgirl Crowing

    Mar 25, 2008
    Oh my word! I'm so glad that you found what was burning BEFORE you had to call the fire dept. That would have been really bad. Glad to hear the chicks are okay and thank heavens all is well now! [​IMG]
  5. chicken_boy_Kurt

    chicken_boy_Kurt Songster

    Mar 20, 2008
    Well you (and your chicks) are OK no major damage happened. So thank God you're all OK.
  6. joanm

    joanm Songster

    May 13, 2007
    Thanks everyone - I now have a nice burned spot in the carpet to remind me not to be so careless... :|

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: