I almost killed one of my Blessing Ducks!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bettyboop7499, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Bettyboop7499

Bettyboop7499 Songster

Mar 25, 2018
    Traverse City, MI
    Hello BYC,

My blessing Ducks are my four Runners. I had really wanted a couple of these ducks but decided we couldn't afford them & the female Pekin that I needed to get for Duck-Ducks..well,the shipper made a mistake and shipped me two male/female pair of runners (Chocolate & Blue). And..They let me keep them at no charge! I couldn't believe it! So, God blessed me with my runners! So thankful!

So, you can imagine my horror when I went out the other morning and one Blue Runner had two bloody eyes, the feathers were missing from the head and it wasn't eating or drinking, would attempt to but would stop short. I caught it-too easily-put it in a safe place from the other Ducks and chickens. My head was swimming I couldn't think 'what could've happen'?? What could cause bloody eye sockets besides getting punched in the face, in this case pecked? Strain! Oh no..the missing feathers on the back of her head..yes I just said HER! Then I knew my mistake-sort of! I felt/feel horrible! Duck had THREE PEKIN females to choose from! But sure enough I brought her out and stood out there to watch and it took a little while but he started chasing after her! So, I removed him from the equation..no worries I didn't cull him! I just took him out of the pasture. He is sad, sits next to the fence following them around the run, but she is better, her eyes are healed, she is eating and drinking and seems happy.

But..I have no idea what to do. Am I going to have to rehome Duck? Can I put the three Pekin with him and leave the four Runners in the pasture? How old do Female ducks need to be, to be around male ducks?? Or do I still have too many male ducks?

What do you all think?

WannaBeHillBilly and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

How many Pekin drakes do you have? Just one? I’d def keep the Pekins and Runners separate trough the worst of breeding season? How old is the Runner female he got hold of? All females should be laying she before introduced to drakes. I am glad she is doing so much better.

3. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    A runner duck doesn't stand a chance against a Pekin drake! My three runner girls have enough experience to fend or Erpelchen, the young (5½ month) Buff Orpington drake, by rolling over or just running much faster than him - hence Runner Ducks…
    But an inexperienced Runner girl with a mean ol' Pekin drake - no way! Just let him have his way with the Pekin girls until his hormones have worn off. And next spring she will be much faster and meaner and can defend herself!

4. Bettyboop7499

Bettyboop7499 Songster

Mar 25, 2018
    Traverse City, MI
    Just the one Pekin male drake. He is about a year old. She & the other ducks are about 9-10 weeks! But I don't recall anything about age concerns just first, look don't touch & then supervised interactions then best to put them together at night...I had watched them interact so many times & only witnessed minor conflicts & that was during feedings with chickens, the ducks did great.

Thank you @Miss Lydia

5. Bettyboop7499

Bettyboop7499 Songster

Mar 25, 2018
    Traverse City, MI
    Ok. Thank you. What is crazy is this Pekin was the last survivor out of four and the sweetest. He never tried to submit the other males the one that just recently died was actually the more aggressive one...

6. pamelajean

pamelajean Songster

Aug 3, 2017
    British Columbia
    I didn't know that they should be laying before introduction, thanks for the tip. I have had my young ducks in with my drake since they were about 4 months old. They are not laying yet, even. He does torment them a little, but physically they are showing no signs of over mating....

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I'd definitely get rid of the Pekin Drake if he isn't going to be happy. He will pace the fence wanting the Runner hens and cause stress to himself..Possible I'm confused and if you have Pekin Hens he will be fine but never put both Drake together..

8. Miss Lydia

When I say laying age that is usually 4 months and up. My Runners were mating at 4 months laying at 4.5 so I go by that usually when Ducks at the age when laying can start they are ready for sex. My Muscovys are totally different they hatch one year an here they don’t mate till following spring 8-9 months old.

9. Bettyboop7499

Bettyboop7499 Songster

Mar 25, 2018
    Traverse City, MI
    I have 2 male Runners & 2 female Runners, I also have 1 male Pekin and 3 Pekin females. I did not know anything about age restrictions when introducing them into a new flock.

I'm trying to find out the best course of action to keep them all and them to be healthy, happy ducks. Right now, I have ALL young duck/drakes together-they are all happy. My older Pekin Drake is alone and he is not happy.

If I put the three female Pekin with the Pekin Drake at this age will they be okay? And, if I keep the four Runners together, will they be okay?

Thank you for taking the time to help me! I'm at a loss!

10. Miss Lydia

Yes that is your best course of action if your female Pekins are at least 4 months are older. But if your drake begins abusing them then he needs to go to drake jail. We have to protect our females.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: