I almost lost Blue Rooster because he loves me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WriterofWords, Dec 5, 2008.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Blue has a habit of greeting me at the gate, I love it. Yesterday though instead of just running up to the gate he jumped up to the top of the 6ft fence and fell over onto the driveway side. My brother's mixed breed was out and saw Blue fall and made a made run for him. I jumped out of the truck and just barely beat the dog to the roo and grabbed him up. Blue had turned around and was trying to jump back up the fence but was too close to it to be able to gain altitude. He had run at it and jumped from the other side.
    I love my Blue,, but this gave me a heart attack! His wings are clipped but it doesn't affect him much. Since he is free range and doesn't go into a coop or anything, I'm not sure how to keep from doing that again. Any suggestions?

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I am soo glad you got to him in time!!! You say his wings are clipped so it sounds as though you clipped them both. This may be why it doesn't effect him much. You should clip the long feathers on just one wing so when he tries to fly it will throw him off balance. He won't like the off balance and it will discourage his flying. It should also keep him from flying as high. I hope he doesn't go over the fence again!!

[​IMG] good save!!

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    You could tether him...rope around a leg to a peg in the ground...I know it is a cock fighter thing but it keeps them out of trouble...just provide a safe place for them to hide in

4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I did do both wings, I was told it was mean to do only one! That must be the problem then. I can't tether him, it would kill him. I'm hoping that scared him and he won't do it again. I'm wondering about something that might hold one of his wings down?

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I wouldn't know what else to do but to wait until he molts again and then trim one wing. Sorry....

6. LlamaChick

LlamaChick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2008
    Llama Country
    (Take the following with a grain of salt) How long ago did you trim him? Maybe he has grown out enough that you can trim some off of one side? We trim my Parakeet and he needs trimmed inbetween molts.

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    So far so good, no more hopping the 6ft fence. I'm hoping he scared himself!

8. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:I started thinking about that, I'm going to have to check his wings, I think it's been long enough I need to do it again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by