I almost lost Blue Rooster because he loves me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WriterofWords, Dec 5, 2008.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Blue has a habit of greeting me at the gate, I love it. Yesterday though instead of just running up to the gate he jumped up to the top of the 6ft fence and fell over onto the driveway side. My brother's mixed breed was out and saw Blue fall and made a made run for him. I jumped out of the truck and just barely beat the dog to the roo and grabbed him up. Blue had turned around and was trying to jump back up the fence but was too close to it to be able to gain altitude. He had run at it and jumped from the other side.
    I love my Blue,, but this gave me a heart attack! His wings are clipped but it doesn't affect him much. Since he is free range and doesn't go into a coop or anything, I'm not sure how to keep from doing that again. Any suggestions?

2. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    This posted twice, not sure why. Is there anyway to delete it?

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    You could tether him...rope around a leg tied to a peg in the ground...I know I know...that is what the cock fighters did but it does keep the birds in place and out of trouble...just gotta provide protection they can get into...

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I would try very hard to train your dog. This may save some chickens in the future. Smack the crap out of that dog, for one [​IMG] then yell a firm, "NO!" Try training a little more every day and let him near your birds to get used to them.... Good Luck

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    two posts...thought I had messed-up...[​IMG]

6. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:It's not my dog, it's my brother's and I'm not sure why it was out where it could come up to my house. They live about an acre behind me.

7. chickie momma di

chickie momma di Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    SOME TRAINING FOR THE DOG WILL BE VERY HELPFUL BOTH NOW AND IN THE FUTURE.(I HAVE 2 AND THEY BOTH ARE NOW VERY WELL BEHAVIED ARROUND MY BIRDS. TOOK TIME AND PATIENTS THOUGH.)
    [​IMG] ALSO COULD YOU PUT AN EXTENTION ON THE FENCE THAT LEANS INWORD TOWARD THE SIDE THE BIRD IS ON?[​IMG]
    GOOD LUCK!

8. deborah the silkie

deborah the silkie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Phoenix
    OH thats just horrible......its great that you beat the dog to him though.....i honestly dont have any advice since my dogs are never able to reach my chickies......buy i do work with them on staying away from the birds.......the best thing to do would be to secure him somwhere that nothing could harm him

9. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    Yes, absolutely, train the dog. Introduce him to the chickens on a leash, set him up, get on his case for predatory behaviour, teach him to "leave it!"

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I'm not sure. I definitely don't think you should train your brother's dog. That's not your job. Maybe build Blue a small coop for himself? Or tether him. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by