I already need your thoughts!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cochinbantam-lover, May 16, 2009.

1. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Just brought the babies home this evening and they look pretty good. Seems like a couple of them aren't running around eating drinking as much as the others. Should I be worried? I dipped all their beaks in the Quik Chik when I got them home, fed them and they are in a nice warm place. Is there anything I should do besides keep an eye on them? anything to watch for?

Thanks!

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Just keep an eye on them and make sure they are eating and drinking ok. If after the first couple of days you notice the same thing, then I would question health! Hope that helps!

3. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Thanks much, yep that's what I'm doin [​IMG] And yes that helped!

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You can also try sugar water as a boost for what appears to be weaker chicks. Sometimes they need a little pick me up!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Don't use sugar (or Karo or whatever) for long, maybe a day. Make sure no one is being prevented from eating and drinking by the others. Watch their butts for dried poo blocking the vent, common in the first week or two. If it happens, soak it off in warm water, then put some lubrication on the butt (Vaseline, Neosporin, any vegetable oil, mineral oil; whatever is handy.)

Their first few days are very stressful, and some being a little slower than others is not unusual. If you have the temp right and can get them eating and drinking successfully, they will most likely do fine.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
  6. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Hello, I have 8 chicks....one gave me a scare...but now is fine... one of the suggestions I was given- mashed up hard boiled egg. It helped my weak one. (and the plain yogurt) I was going crazy for 2 days worrying about the little one- but it was worth the effort! [​IMG]

7. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Guess then he must have eaten it huh? [​IMG]

Thanks!

8. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Give them sugar water and electrolytes which will give them a boost

9. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I have the Quik Chik in their water, do I still add sugar?

Thanks!

10. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope, if you've got the electrolytes in their water that's all they need. You might try wetting some of their mash a little the first day or two as well. They seem to like it better and eat more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by