I am a baby chicken killer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GopherBoyFarms, Nov 6, 2008.

1. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    do not I repeat DO NOT crack an egg open until you are sure it will not hatch...after 2 hours of crying my eyes out .....calling myself a baby chicken killer......I am able to type to anyone that cares......do not crack an egg unless you know it is a dud.

I cracked one one the 22nd day...wanting my lone chick to have a friend....and the little bloody mush in the egg was still beating.....I am a baby chicken killer. eeek!!! I will not touch the other eggs for days now. My heart hurts and I learned a leason.....so did my little son (9 yrs old). I feel so bad....my family seems to understand but i cant get that image of the little beating mush in the egg that I CRACKED open.

now....I still have a lone chick that keeps crying [​IMG]

~Tiff~

wow, I havent cried this much since I scraped up my cat(that I bottle fed from 3 days old) that was slung all over my back yard, guts everywhere a year ago, trying to clean it up before the kids got home from school.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Oh I am truly sorry, please don't feel too badly, it is hard to wait especially when you don't think it is going to hatch. [​IMG]

3. Bleenstar

Bleenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Southern California
    oh gosh [​IMG] I'm sorry. Its okay it happends to alot of us :aww Dont worry [​IMG]. Maybe the chick will survive

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Oh that's terrible! I am so sorry. [​IMG]

5. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    I'm not any expert but if it was "bloody mush" inside on the 22nd day, then I don't think it would have lived anyway, beating heart or not! There should have been a real body in there, not bloody mush!

Get the lone chick a very soft stuffed toy that it can cuddle up to and that should bring it some comfort when you are unable to hold her all the time.

This lone chick will most likely bond to you like a little puppy so this lone time could be a good thing. As soon as other chicks are introduced, she will practically forget about you so savor the moments you have together now.

Finally, call all your local feed stores and ask if they have chicks currently. If no luck there, post your address on your profile and chances are great that someone from this list will live close enough to sell you a chick without too much traveling.

Also, why did you scrape your cat out of the yard?

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    No dear you are not a baby chicken killer...lesson learned and that is that. At 22 days, there should have been a chick present not merely bloody mush. Now don't you worry about it, concern yourself with your little one.

Get little one a feather duster or stuffed friend until one of the others hatches/

******Hugs******

7. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    first... I had to srape up my cat cuz something killed it.....and dragged it all over the yard......I have 6 2.5 week old chicks in the brooder in the garage...and if no more chicks hatch from this batch DH said he will build Pumpkin a little area to be with them in the brooder but so she will be protected...so she will have friends...they just will be a little older....maybe tomorrow Pumpkin will have a friend hatch. Plus...if sh doesnt she will have a little brother or sister in 21 days. [​IMG]

8. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    you made a mistake, you didn't mean to kill anything. forgive yourself. [​IMG]

9. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'm soo sorry [​IMG] It was an absolute mistake and like the others have said if it was mush and not fully formed....it probably would not have made it anyways. :aww

10. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    So sorry you had to experience this last night. I wish I could take the hurt away from you today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by