I am a bit confused about my broody...looking for advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ladybug99, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I have one hen who has been broody on and off since April. We had been taking her eggs but that did not help she joined the flock for a while and then went back to being broody.. at first she wasn't really serious but this time she has been sitting for over 20 days....we decided to let her try and hatch out babies this time. On July 5th we dated two eggs and let her be...and today she finally got off the nest while I was there and she has nine eggs....We are hoping for at least 1/2 of them to hatch. I had tried to take her off the nest and relocate it to a dog crate inside the coop, but she gets:confused: very upset.. so we put her back in the nesting boxes. Is it alright for her to hatch out the babies in the coop??? [​IMG]

2. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    It is ok to hatch in the coop as long as the babies can get to food and water and outside then back into the nest.

3. Rhondax6

Rhondax6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    We just had our very first baby hatch in the coop with everyone else on Wednesday and it was attacked [​IMG] It died within 24 hours. It was heartbreaking. Now we have mama and nest seperated from everyone else, we're just waiting for more to hatch. If it were me I'd move her or the rest of the flock. I'm too nervous now to just "wait and see." Good luck!

4. chickensgalore

chickensgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    hillsdale,michigan
    I moved my broody BA and her clutch out of the coop and she was a nervous wreck for a couple hrs.so i just left her alone and she went right back to the eggs,and they hatched.i wouldnt worry much about her not setting back on theml.but if she doesnt then maybe you broke her broodiness

5. Rhondax6

Rhondax6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    I forgot to mention when we moved our hen and her nest she had an absolute fit, for about five minutes. Walk away for an hour and I'll bet she settles. It's better she have a fit now instead of dead babies later. IMO Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by