I am a bit confused about space

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hairlesshorse, Mar 25, 2013.

1. hairlesshorse

hairlesshorse Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    Henderson, KY
    I have been doing all kinds of research and most places say that the run needs to allow for approx 10sqft per bird. My confusion comes in when the premade runs that you can buy (even from the hatcheries that say you need 10sqft) only allow for half that amount of space (if you are lucky), example saw a run for up to 8 birds that was 5x6=30sqft allowing only 3.75sqft per bird if you have 8 in there. Based on that, I have enough room already set out, 64sqft for 15 birds. I think it will be a bit cramped and want to expand it but not sure how much more space I need to add. I dont have room for a 10x15 run so I am not sure how to make sure they have enough room.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you plan to let them free range? The run doesn't have to be that big if you are going to let them out during the day.

3. Mikedero

Mikedero Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Watertown CT
    You really need at least 10 Sq ft per bird at least. meaning that is the lowest it should be for 15 I would go the smallest 10X20= 200 Sq feet

In fact just to give you a idea My run is 10X23 230 sq feet see the pic each panal is 5 Feet and the coop is 8 feet long. And that still is tight for 9 birds.

If you do not have room for at least a 10X15 get less birds. But the big question are they layers or meat birds. Are they bantams or standard sized.

[​IMG]

4. SequoyahFarms

SequoyahFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Knoxville Tn
    My recommendation would be make the run as large as you have room for, divide the total sq footage of the run by 10, and you have your number of how many chickens you can comfortably accommodate. Right now you have room for 6, but you might not have the space for the 15 you want. It's better to be safe than sorry. You don't want to deal with the problems that come with overcrowding. Just my two cents

5. hairlesshorse

hairlesshorse Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    Henderson, KY
    We are getting BAs and since they are clasified as duel purpose we are planning on using some for meat some for eggs. Coop is 6x7. We are getting 15 because that was min order amount and mt healthy sd coop is big enough for 15+. When it gets warmer we will let them out in the yard some but have to be carefull as we live in the middle of a farm with lots of preditors both in the sky and on the ground and the yard is not fenced in. I can extend the coop to 8x13 pretty easily but not much further then that because of trees.

6. SequoyahFarms

SequoyahFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Knoxville Tn
    Your coop is 6x7, but how big is your run? You said you have 64 sq ft of space...is your run size 8x8? Even if you plan on using half your BAs for meat, in the time it takes for them to mature to slaughter weight your going to be extremely cramped until it gets warm enought to let them free range. I'd keep maybe 8 and sell the rest on Craigslist when you get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by