I am a complete virgin to chickens

Hayley

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
UK
Hello, I have just found this site after purchasing my first ever three chickens (2 x Orpington Buff & 1 x Sussex Light) today. My little babies are 9 weeks old and I would welcome any comments and tips for a successful journey. I feel very excited with this new venture and loved reading all the different topics you guys talk about.
smile.png

Welcome to the forum.
big_smile.png
I'm new here too. I have raised chickens before, but have just gotten started again. I should say that I fell into the addiction again. The little critters should come with a warning. Do you have your shelter?

Kimberly

The poor little chickens are staying the night in our shed due to my lack of planning or more true my lack of patience, a quick look at some local chickens turned into bringing them home at tea time. Probably very naive but my life normally goes 100 miles an hour with 3 children under 5, 2 horses and a chocolate lab. I bought a hutch today which I will be collecting tomorrow from a local guy, it can house upto 6 chickens (my husband will be pleased). Do you know when the chickens are allowed on grass (or outside), they have been kept in a barn type building upto yet with loads and loads of others.
smile.png

Quote:
Your chickens are plenty old enough to be outside on nice days. I'll betcha they'll love to get some outside time after being cooped up. You can build a simple, inexpensive run for them in no time. Attach the run to their pen and they'll likely spend alot of the daytime out in the pen, returning to the hutch at night.
Welcome to the forum and good luck!
Edited to add this P.S.> don't be surprised if at first they stand around scared silly outside. It'll be so new to them, they'll need a few minutes to adjust and get comfortable.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
Hope you get those lil chicks outside soon!! Get busy and build them a nice run so they can enjoy the grass and sunshine. Good luck with your chicks! Any more questiions, we're here for you!

Good luck with your chicks. Mine are ~8 weeks old give or take a day. We are still building but I'm hoping the run will be ready for them to play in in a few days. They are tired of the basement....or maybe I'm tired of the basement. I want to visit with them in the sunshine!

Back
Top Bottom