I am a Crazy Woman

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by anti, Feb 6, 2015.

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. no more than the rest of us

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  4. you should be arrested

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. anti

anti Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2014
    Boone NC
    I just ordered 26 random bantams from Ideal Poultry, to be delivered next week. They are having a crazy sale. My chickens are just pets and I can accommodate their snowflake needs to a point, but what if I get 25 fighting roosters? Has anybody else done this?

1 person likes this.
  2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    :weee

How exciting to get a box full of little chickies, just in time for valentines day! :love

I don't think you are crazy at all! Luckily for you, I don't think hatcheries can sex bantams, so (if you ask me), I think you have a pretty good chance of getting plenty of hens.
    Hopefully somebody who has ordered banties from ideal will chime in.

Good luck to you! Keep us posted on how they are once they arrive. :)

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The average is about 50% cockerels, so you should get 12 or so males in the bunch. Though more or less is still possible. What are you going to do with all of them?

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I couldn't answer your poll because I want to check all four boxes! [​IMG] Welcome to our flock and the crazy fun world of chicken keeping! [​IMG]

5. Jewlss

Jewlss Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    [​IMG]i love little bantams.

i just bought a surprise special straight run from ideal poultry also
    i bought 70 chicks and they gave me more then half of meat birds[​IMG]
    not exactly what i wanted since i already have 80 meat birds.

6. Devastating

Devastating Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2015
    South TX
    Haha, my dad also ordered the bantam assortment from Ideal for the same reason. In fact he had originally included MORE groups of other assortments like cresteds and long-tailed breed cockerels, but they would have delayed the order so he took them out. Thought I would have to wait a couple more months to start buying chicks so I'm excited to see these babies.

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good luck with your new little ones. Keep us posted on what you end up with!

8. anti

anti Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2014
    Boone NC
    The babies are here and they are loving life. I did get one silkie. I am not a chicken expert by any means but from photos on the web I can tell you what I think I got. I sell my chickens at the local farmers' market, but I also accept donations when people take photos. With up to 2,000 visitors on a given Saturday that is quite a few photos. I have soil in the back of my truck and it is planted and the people just love it. But, I digress.

I got one Modern Game. That one alone is worth his weight in gold for the oddness factor. Can you just hear them say "what on earth is that creature?"

2 look like spangled Old English, they should be pretty I hope they are nice.

I got some way cool feather legged, I assume most are Cohins. One is blue, some other really pretty ones, There are a number of yellow ones but some could be Brahmas. None look frizzled to me so far.

Overall, I was very pleased that I got so few blacks. I am so happy that my favorite sport, chicken watching, can now be done indoors as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by