I am a hatching addict-I need help..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LotsOLopsChicks, Mar 9, 2015.

1. LotsOLopsChicks

LotsOLopsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2015
    Virginia
    Lockdown was last night...and I need to sit on my hands. But it's so hard...gosh I want to candle the eggs and open and check for pips. Yikes!

So give me reasons not to open it!! Keep 'em coming even if they sound weird!!

And while your at it tell the ducks to stop making the brooder a splashy mess [​IMG]

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    The one and only reason you need - you could kill the chicks.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    X2 on the above. You have no need to open and look. You can't make them hatch any quicker by looking. Opening the incubator all the time could affect humidity and shrink wrap chicks so they can't hatch.

Good luck and SIT ON THOSE HANDS!!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Don't you have some house work that you need to tend to? When i'm hatching, I get lots of that done. I force myself to go do a "chore" before allowing myself to come back and look again. My house usually gets pretty clean on hatch day. DON'T TOUCH THAT INCUBATOR! If you need to, make yourself a sign, and put it right in front of the bator!

1 person likes this.
  5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    :goodpost:
    That's me too!! Doing a chore brings the reward of having a look at the incubator :clap

6. LotsOLopsChicks

Feb 21, 2015
    Virginia
    LOL Thanks for the ideas...house work doesn't sound appealing-socalzing chicks or watching the ducklings on their daily swim session?

Problems:
    Swim session doesn't last long....
    Chicks seem to like to poop on ME and not anyone else, and oh, one of the ducklings likes to sample lips...and noses...and eyelids..and fingers...lol
    Oh, I would go hang with my big gals, but it's raining!! [​IMG]

And today is day 19 or is it 18...(?)!! When do Bantam eggs hatch??
    Oh, but I could do school with my little sister (home schooled) or browse BYC...But I want to candle the eggs and check for pips on the bottom and parts of the eggs I can't see! Someone lock my incubator and hide the key from me please!!!

And I hate house work...but you might be on to something @lazy gardener
    I'll have to try it!

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Didn't you say you were a minor? How about doing some homework instead of chores? Maybe read a book?

-Kathy

8. LotsOLopsChicks

Feb 21, 2015
    Virginia
    Uh oh-the temptation is REAL!

A couple of the eggs are shaking and one has a spiderweb crack starting-just no complete pip yet!!

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Wait until you get a few hatches under your belt before you start "messing" with them.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by