I am a horrible chicken mama

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stormy, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Stormy

Stormy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    South Carolina
    I am.

This morning I changed the 1 gallon water jug. I carefully (or so I thought) layed it back down over the pine shaving floor of the brooder.

This afternoon I went to change the water jug. Lying underneath the water container was one very dead yellow chick.

I truly began crying....and sobbing...and apologizing to the other 26 chicks who survived my stupidity.

From here on I am going to be an even carefuller (is that word?) chicken mama.

I have a college degree too....which obviously doesn't mean beans when it comes to being a good chicken mama.

2. risurocket

risurocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    :aww I doubt that you are the only one to do that, so don't be too hard on yourself. Sounds like little yellow fuzz butts can hide pretty well in those shavings. I am sorry for your loss. [​IMG] hang in there, The other chicks will forgive you!

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Its okay.
    I had ducks that a wild mama duck abandoned and my dad and brother told me I put too big of a water conatainer in their cage but I didn't listen saying "They can swim though!, they like swimming." The water got too low while I was at school and they couldn't get out and they drowned I was mad at myself.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Stormy - someone else just did that about a week ago & had about the identical thread name to yours.

Accidents happen! If you'd done it on purpose, you'd be a bad chick mama. Those little babies are so fast - it was, truly, an accident.

5. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    Bless your Chicky heart -

Don't be so hard on yourself... Accidents do happen and the rest of the brood will forgive you.

To take your mind off your worries... Read mine - You may just giggle a bit.

Let me start my story this way... I have several dogs and extra dog kennels. Knowing that I was bring some chicks home, I snagged a large cardboard box from work thinking I would bring home 2-4 week chicks... Instead, I brought home 6 mix 2 1/2 month olds. Also it's a 100+ degrees outside.

After dragging everything out of the car in the cool A/C, I start constructing my brood box. At first I started with the cardboard box... got the bottom lined with wax paper and pine shavings and put the girls in the new temporary home.

Of course, the dogs are nosey rosies and were dieing to know what I was doing. They could hear the peeps from the box the feed store gave me and more courious after I put them in the larger box.

Thinking I would have a problem later in the evening or the first time I turned my backing, I decided to drag out a extra dog kennel so the girls could see us and the dogs would be less courious about the noise.

So I grabbed to big box (girls still inside) and cut off the flipping lids and attached them to the side of the dog kennel with zip ties... Put the liner in the bottom and covered it with shavings again and moved the girls in this number 2 new home.

Thought I was done - NOPE!

The girls started kicking the shavings around and they were coming out the bottom. What a mess. New idea! I set the cardboard box on top of the kennel and said to myself -"self this will work, cut it down to fit inside the kennel to keep the shavings from flying..."

Here I go... cutting down this really nice size cardboard box.

That's were everything goes down hill... (remember, my dogs are watching, thinking to themselves... What in the tar-nation is she doing?)

After looking at this mess in my hardwood floor livingroom, I have 4 dogs watching, 6 chicks that need to move out of the kennel long enough for me to shove the cut down box into the kennel.

So, I put the dogs outside while I figure out what to do next... I thought, let the girls walk around while I shove box into the kennel.

Just as I started moving the girls to the livingroom floor, the front door swings open... the latch didn't catch! The next thing I know, my dogs are looking at the birds, the birds are looking at the dogs and I layed an egg!

Some of the girls jumped up on my husband 1 week old recliner and start pooping! [​IMG]

After having a small stroke, I picked up the egg I just layed and started shoo-ing dogs back outside and realized the chair had a cover on it... At least I had brains to put a cover on it the night we brought it home because of the dogs...!!!

Another small miracle - My DH wasn't home... I would be dead meat if he would have seen what I was doing and especially to see the girls on his new chair pooping!

Finally, I got the box into the kennel, shavings in and the girls off his chair. Closed the door, grabbed the chair cover and made a mad dash to washing machine!

He's due home in an hour... So I hope the cover is dried and back on the chair by then. This way, I don't have to tell him this story! [​IMG]

Soooo with all that said and this story being way off topic... I know you may be blue... but turn pink from laughing so hard at my bone-head story...

Take care!

6. Stormy

Stormy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    South Carolina
    ROFLMBO! That is hilarious! But at least you didn't kill any chickens! But it DOES sound like something I would have done...kind of scary to know there are "others like me" out there! [​IMG]

Thank you for sharing that, it DID make me laugh.

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG] sorry for your loss, its always hard to lose a chick, I lost one with the last order of chicks I got in !!! :aww

8. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    Quote:I hope so, my husband saw my posting.... he's not laughing... but he's did say to wish you luck and hope you feel better with "HER BONE HEAD" Stunt!

Hugs!

9. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Hey i'v done it twice [​IMG]

10. rughooker

rughooker Chillin' With My Peeps

Ladysonja wrote

Don't be so hard on yourself... Accidents do happen and the rest of the brood will forgive you.

To take your mind off your worries... Read mine - You may just giggle a bit.

Your story made my day! [​IMG] Aren't we women sneaky, 'specially when it comes to our dh's? I am cleaning stinky doggy poop sometimes as my dh is driving down the driveway. OUST spray works fantastic. It really does kill the odor!!!!!!! Haven't brought any peeps in the house yet because of THE DOGS!!!!! You could have your own Talk Show on t.v. or write a book. I like women like you--cause I'm just the same!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by