I am a little confused

idahomama

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
If this is the wrong forum to post this question in, I apologize in advance.

I have been looking locally for Buff Orpingtons with no luck. In fact, the only person/place where I can get a small number of chicks is the local feed stores and when I call them to ask what they have, all I get is 'straight-run'

In my limited (but growing
smile.png
) chicken knowledge, I thought straight-run meant male+female but it seems like they are referring to mixed breeds as well.

For a first-time chickener, would you recommend buying some of these 'straight-run' and then trying to locally sell or give-away the breeds/sexes I don't want to keep?

Thanks!

If you just want to have some chickens, I say GO GET SOME!!
smile.png

Then at least you'd be having fun. But if you really want a particular breed, then getting unknown breeds may not be the right thing to do.
But I say, get chickies!
wee.gif

Straight run is un sexed chicks, you get both male and female. Most hatcheries let you choose different breeds of chicks. Some even offer, mixed breeds, kinda like a goody bag.

Ask your feed store if i their next order they will specify the number of the specific chicks you want. Most hatcheries will sell mixed lots of breeds/sexes as long as you meet their minimum number/$$. So if the feed store typically orders 25 straight-run mixed breed chicks, perhaps they will instead order 20 of those plus 5 of your specified breed/gender (for example).

I'm pretty sure Dunlaps hatchery in Cladwell has BO's. Also I think Mary at The Hen Connection has some - she is on Craigs list boise. Also if neither of those pan out there is a house with a really nice huge flock down the street from my house I could direct you there and maybe they would sell some.
Katy

Last edited by a moderator:
sonoran- they will do that but I have to pay up front (in person) which won't work. The nearest feed store is still a nice drive from my house and doing it 2x isn't very feasable.

katylester - i did call dunlaps this morning and they are one of the distributors to the feed stores here. Boise is even farther than the feed stores.

I am in the Wood River Valley if that helps anyone.

It looks like I might have to go to the store and see what I come home with! I'm thinking if they sell in this area than any breed that might be in my 'goody-bag' will do alright in this area.

..sigh..it stinks living in the middle of nowhere sometimes:)

Well, if I can help let me know. I have Black Australorps, Austra Whites, Polish and RIR's for sale. Could probably set up a delivery for you, especially if you could find someone else to buy some too.
Katy

Back
Top Bottom