I Am A-m-a-z-e-d!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Aug 8, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    My male Button Quail flew from the coop 2 days ago, yesterday we built a call back pen and left it out all that day until this morning with the hen in it... well this morning the pen was flipped on its side and the panel was warped.. So something was trying to get at my hen last night. I am not going to lose a female over a male that is being replaced this weekend! So I cleaned out a 10 gallon tank and put paper towls on the bottom of it and placed my hen in it... She did nothing but pace back and forth!!!
    so I put my 4 day old Buttons in with her! She took to them instantly!!! She lets them fallow her around, she lets them lay under her, she sits there and talks to them, she doesnt pace anymore, and she even calmed down to where I can PET her on her BELLY without her spazzing!!! I know this might be normal for Mother Buttons or even Adopted mother Buttons but I havent even seen a Button lay on eggs so this is new to me!! Im totally amazed!!

Please excuse my dirty tank windows!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. spaceranger

spaceranger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Awww They are gorgeous!
    I'm toying with the idea of letting my broody bantam sit on my quail eggs as my quails do not seem interested at all :d

3. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:lol I've thought of that but chickens incubate for 21 days and buttons for 18 days so I would be affraid she'd incuate them for 21 days and something would happen! That or the babies would hatch and they'd get out since their so small

4. spaceranger

spaceranger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Hmmmn perhaps it's not a good idea, My bantam is very very motherly so I was hoping she'd just sit them until they hatched then i'd take them indoors? maybe i'll look for an incubator instead xx

5. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Aww that's so sweet that she just adopted them like that. [​IMG]

6. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Aw look at the cute little mommy![​IMG]

7. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    So darn cute!

8. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Some more pictures of momma and her babies!! You can actually see one baby under her wing!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    very sweet, and everyone looks so content.

10. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Hi spaceranger, I think you could let your banty hen sit on the quail eggs, usually once the chicks hatch the hen will stop sitting, so as long as you only had quail eggs under her (not quail and chickens for instance) then it should be fine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by