1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am a Mom with 4 kids in Gainesville, Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shaunaquirk, Aug 17, 2013.

1. shaunaquirk

shaunaquirk New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    I am fairly new to chickens. I have an Arucana and RIR hatched early February 2013 and two 'mutts' hatched early May 2013. I have just added two Pekin ducks that are approx. 4-5 weeks old.

I found out about BYC from internet searches and word of mouth, I was trying to figure out the best way to introduce the ducks to the ducks to the chickens and I have been searching the threads to figure it out.

I have wanted chickens for many years and when I ended up divorced and no longer living in suburbia, I was finally able to get some. I have 4 children, 8, 6 year old twins and a 4 year old. I have been divorced for almost 3 years and we are getting along okay. The kids love having chickens and so do I. They think the ducks are super cute and I am glad we got them.

I am hoping that this community can help me learn the best way to take care of my feathered friends. :)

P.S. The 'mutts' are hens that I got from a friend. She has a mixed flock, so we just don't know what they are. One of them is really neat in her markings. She is almost spotted, we actually named her Spot. They other chickens are named Lila, Special Leaf (named by my 6 year old girl, what can you do?), Silkie and Tiny and the ducks are Kiki and Quack.

Thanks for being such a great resource and I look forward to getting to 'know' you!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Oh don't worry, I once had a little hen called "Ice Cream" courtesy of my (now 7yo) son. Have you looked at the Ducks section yet? Enjoy the site!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]
    Welcome from Jacksonville FL. You will find lots of info here. Duck info is found under other backyard poultry and then ducks.

Caroline

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] hope you enjoy your stay with us.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Good luck to you and your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by