I am a new member.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by captainsupermom, Mar 29, 2017.

1. captainsupermom

captainsupermom New Egg

Mar 29, 2017
    CA
    I just joined. My husband and I and our 6 kids will be moving to a 40 acre ranch in So. Cal. I have grown up hearing stories of my mom chickens as a kid.I have never had chickens before. There is a very d coop on the property. I would love to have chickens at least for fresh eggs. If I raised chickens for meat too, does anyone know a butcherin So. Cal preferably Northern San Diego area who could process the chickens?

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! But I am even happier to hear you are interested in chickens!

I don't know much about butchering, but here is a good forum to check out:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/21/meat-birds-etc

If you ever have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask! Or you can just hop over to the Learning Center:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

And if you want to chat with other folks near you, just check this forum out:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

I hope you enjoy BYC! Best wishes! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm sorry I cannot answer questions about processing meat birds. I think the best I can do is have you visit your state thread and ask the BYCers on there if they know of anyone.

The California thread is a BIG ones and it has some areas separately like South Cal & North Cal, maybe others to choose from just put California in the search box above and it
    will come up.

You could try putting San Diego, CA in the search box and see if there is a thread. [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, captainsupermom, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! RodNTN gave you a boatload of great links to explore so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

5. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've been given some great links so I'll just say hello and best of luck with your new ranch!

6. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Welcome to BYC!
    Best of luck to ya with your ventures!
    :)

~MW

7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

8. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Remembering the Forgotten

Welcome to the ultimate Clan, Club, and Community of Poultry Lovers, captainsupermom! :welcome
    Love your username. ;)
    It looks like you've already received some great links regarding butchering, so I'll just give you my customary welcome for now! :frow
    All of birds are all part of one massive, unanimously-beloved flock on BYC- and we can't wait to assist in any way possible!
    We're glad you're here!!!
    :jumpy Wings of Wishes, :jumpy
    ~Sarah

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under captainsupermom [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by