I am a new member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by patches948, Feb 13, 2011.

1. patches948

patches948 New Egg

Feb 13, 2011
    Although I am a new member to tje forum, I have been raising chickend for about 15 years. This winter my hens just stopped laying. I have 10 hens and 3 rooster and I have a light in the coop as I have done for years. I have never had them just stop laying so suddenly. They are black australorp and buffs and they are just over 3 years old. I usually order new chicks about every 2 years, but did not last year. And I have 2 or 3 other hens but are much older, one of which is an EE and she is about 12 years old and I was still getting an egg or 2 a week from her back in the summer. Any ideas what I can do or what might be wrong.

2. joyous

joyous Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Davenport, Iowa
    First of all Welcome![​IMG], second, I have only had chickens for two winters. last year they never stopped laying and this year they just stopped in January! I thought maybe I had a rat or something, but gradually they are starting to lay again...maybe something different about the weather this year.

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Welcome!
    Mine stopped too. After a molt, they do not have enough energy to lay eggs and grow feathers. Also, the short day lengths stop the ovulation process.
    All will be well. I suppose because you always had young hens in the ranks, you always had some eggs.

4. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG] My older hens will stop laying during the winter, but will start up again as the days get longer.

5. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio [​IMG] Long colder than normal winter. My GCs slowed way up for a couple weeks back when the days were the shortest, but are doing 5-6 a week now. My EEs are laying about every other day. these are all last years birds, so they have not yet been laying a year. I plan on adding a few to my flock this year and every year, just a few to replace older birds. If they get too old and quit all together, well. [​IMG]

6. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    [​IMG] from middle TN. My RIR's and BO's layed up until about mid November, then stopped completely except for one egg I found in late December...but it was frozen. Then they molted and are getting their feathers back now, so hopefully soon I will have some eggs. I did have a light on in the coop until about 8:30 at night, but finally just said to heck with it, it is too cold anyway. I think I will turn the timer back on now since it is starting to warm up and the days are getting a little longer. Mine were hatched last April.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

9. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps