I am a newbe from NE Oklahoma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by blueaol, Oct 1, 2012.

1. blueaol

blueaol New Egg

Oct 1, 2012
    My wife said I could not have any chickens, I now have six and she loves them. She says I can not have anymore but I think I need a couple more to complete our family. I have two cornish cross's that someone gave me, a lavender buffington, a white sussex, and I think I have two bantums that I bought at an auction that I thought were regular size pullets. One of my cornish crosses, that we are attached to, does not do any thing but set. She only moves when she wants to eat or drink. I am sure she weighs over 10 lbs. I thought she was brooding but she does not seem to be interested in setting on eggs. I have had her for about three weeks. I dunked her in cool water but that did not help. I put her in wire cage to cool her underside for a couple of days but that did not work. My neighbor told me to cull her but we can not do that. She is very friendly but does not want to move more then a couple of feet. She seems healthy but is lazy but she sure moves pretty fast for a treat. I she a lost cause?

2. GulfStar

GulfStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Hello and welcome aboard. Be careful, you already seem to be addicted. [​IMG]

3. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC from NY[​IMG]

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, blueaol, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here. The behavior you are describing of your Cornish X sounds pretty typical. They exist to eat and that's about it. I wish you well with all your birds!!

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

You might try putting her on restricted feed and making her walk a ways to eat. Cornish crosses are bred to grow very fast and be slaughtered young, and usually dont live long - they especially dont take heat well and often die of heart attacks.

9. blueaol

blueaol New Egg

Oct 1, 2012
    My wife and I tried to walk behind her to make her move but that proved to be useless. I had another cornish cross that was given to me that I believe died of a heat stroke. I guess I will feed her till she leaves us. I can see now why these chickens were given to me. I guess it is part of the learning curve. Thanks

10. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by