I am a newbe

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Girl, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Ok so yeaster day i only got 1 egg. And to day i got 2. [​IMG]:barnieIt is heated and there is a day light in the coop. i did clean out the coop yeasterday but got the 1 egg befor i did that. Do you know how old thay are for there molt?

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    They need to be over a yr old before they'll molt. More common to molt around 18mos. How many hens do you have? How long does the light stay on in the coop? [​IMG]

3. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    I got all my hens as 2 days olds at the end of March. My EE went through a molt or some other type of halt in her egg laying when the weather started to get colder, about a month ago. She's back to normal now. The others seem to have more off days now than they did when it was warmer and lighter.

Welcome to BYC!!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  4. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I have 11 hens. thay are 6 - 61/2 months old. the light is on 24 7. But it only lights like half the coop. the light does not hit the roosts. And its been that way for 1- 1/12 months.[​IMG] And it is cold out here gets in the neg at night. The other day i got 34 eggs in 3-4 days from them. Thanks so much for helping me.

Gods Chicken Girl

5. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    I'll bet they are just adjusting to the weather. Try not to worry too much. My ducks haven't laid for over a month and I'm sure it's just due to the weather and darkness.

They might all just be taking a day off together too. Mine do that at times.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Hi!

Disclaimer: I will freely admit that I don't know all that much about chickens. Most of what I know I've learned here.

That being said, I do know quite a bit about dairy cows. We have lights on for the cattle 14 hours a day. The other 10 hours we try to have as dark as possible, which can be tough since we have milkers going 24 hours a day. (Not on the same cows! [​IMG]) We have to use red lights so the farm hands can see to move the cows to the parlor and back.

Cows need the day/night cycle to be healthy and give lots of milk. Could it be that chickens are the same way? You could try turning off the lights so that the chickens can sleep. I have heard that they can start picking each other's feathers if they don't get some dark time.

Erika

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Chickens need about 14 hours of light per day. They should actually have some "night" time, as too much light can theoretically lead to reproductive problems. One solution is to put your light on a timer that automatically turns it on and off. You will need to adjust the amount of time the light is on as the amount of sunlight in your region during the day waxes and wanes. In the summer, you will probably not need to use the light much at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by