I am a proud pea-owner!!!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by micayc, May 29, 2011.

1. micayc

micayc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Centrel PA
    I just got 5 peas! I am so excited! [​IMG]2 pied 1 female,1 male(2 1/2 yrs old),1 india blue male (2 yrs old)and 2 white ,not sures! The whites are 9 months old. How long before I can tell without doing a dna test? They are skiddish, will they ever come around? When you free range them, do they come back to pen like chickens? When will my pied lay eggs? Sorry for all the questions, just so darn excited [​IMG] ,need to know everything my lil brain will absorb! [​IMG]

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Wow. What a cool variety. To free range you have to leave them penned for 6-8 weeks. I free range mine. During their time penned up, I spent a lot of time feeding treats and talking to them, so they would get used to me. My boy will eat out of my hand. My girl has always been a little more skiddish.

Good Luck.
    [​IMG]

3. micayc

Jul 31, 2010
    Centrel PA
    Quote:do they come back to pen like chickens?

4. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    The white ones will have to be 1 or more to sex them males will start to grow train and spurs the hens sometimes grow spurs but they will never grow trains

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    They should lay in a few weeks ,and be fertile as your male only need be 2 yr old. even without the long train.(moving peahen will stop them from laying a few weeks)

On your white check the spur bumps males will be larger in dia. males are also have longer legs.

6. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    You should be able to tell the sex on the white now I can tell at around 5 to 6 months old.

7. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:How? I have a white pair I will get pics of my pair

8. micayc

Jul 31, 2010
    Centrel PA
    Quote:I am new, they have no spurs yet,. I put them in with my blue and there was no fighting. if one was male, would it fight with the 2 1/2 year old male?

9. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    Quote:I am new, they have no spurs yet,. I put them in with my blue and there was no fighting. if one was male, would it fight with the 2 1/2 year old male?

Not necessarily most of the time a older male want bother a young male. I have been having trouble with male trying to kill there hens this year most have been together for years. When sexing whites I look at the tail feathers the hens will be shorter and more round the males will have longer more taperd tail feather.

10. shadowsp

shadowsp New Egg

Jun 7, 2011
    Congratulations [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by