I am a terrible person and just killed a thriving chick thinking it was dead...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MisfitMarie, Dec 10, 2014.

1. MisfitMarie

MisfitMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I put a dozen random pure bred eggs into my incubator awhile back. I'm fairly new to incubating. I skipped day 7 and figured that I would candle today, day 16, and then again before lockdown. I pulled out three clear eggs that had absolutely no sign of development. I pulled out a fourth that had a thick-looking ring around it and some wonky dark speckled marks about nickle-sized in diameter on one side of the egg that I had never seen in an egg before. I watched for a few minutes against the candling light, saw no movement, and assumed that, along with the ring, it was an early death.

I am an absolute idiot.

I took the eggs downstairs and proceeded to crack them open. Sure enough, the first three eggs spilled out pure yolk. No sign of anything having developed.

Then, I cracked open the fourth egg.

What I spilled out onto the plate was a live chick, not fully developed. It was twitching, moving, probably reacting to being opened up. The odd dark specks that I thought might have been some weird bacteria? They were feathers, tiny little black starts of feathers. Having only hatched darker eggs up until this point (but many of them), I must have been thrown off by the tiny red leghorn inside of a light white egg. He must have had his back pressed up against the shell. And the funky thick red thing? I have no idea... seemed to develop despite that.

I was mortified... and pretty positive, at that point, there was no way to take back what I had I done.

I have been carrying this sick, heavy feeling around all day. I wanted to cry... I'm sitting here at work still thinking about it.

I don't ever want to remove "bad" eggs from the incubator again. Granted, I don't want any exploding inside, either.

I have no problem eating chicken eggs. I have no problem eating chickens fried, baked, etc. I grew up on a small farm and know how it goes. Chicks are a food source. But I have a big problem with killing a innocent chick out of ignorance/total lack of experience. That REALLY bothers me.

Sigh... Thanks for listening. [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've done it before. It's devastating. I was sure the eggs were on day 25 and the chick was about to hatch.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  3. MisfitMarie

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    It is a terrible feeling... Day 25, that must have been rough. It would have looked like a fully developed chick at that point. I couldn't imagine. [​IMG]

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I did the same thing on my first hatch. my first egg cull at day 10 I removed the clears. At 16 (I think) I had determined I had three that were dead. Opened the first one, it was living...albeit not for long. I felt lower than low. I quickly gathered up the others I had pulled and stuck them right back in the bator. wasn't taking the chance again. Now I only remove the clears and distinct blood rings. Everything else will stay in the bator until the end unless I start smelling something. I couldn't handle doing that again. It's hard, but I think it's a common, (though unfortunate) learning process.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Don't feel bad. I think it happens to everyone who hatches at some time. I had been incubating rare shipped eggs from across the country, and on day 10 I tripped over my small incubator cord, and saw 4 little sets of eyes in a pile of eggs on the floor. It made me sick, and feel so guilty. We've all been there.

6. Aliciahess

Aliciahess Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Oh I'm so sorry!! Don't blame yourself,just take it as a learning experience. I haven't had the guts to open any eggs I cull..also harvest my own chickens but something very diff about a new baby.

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to either, but I have gained a lot of insight and knowledge by doing the eggtopsies, but only after the hatch is done unless it's a no brainer bad one. If I am on day 14 and it hasn't progressed past day 5 it's pretty apparent. but if there is even the slightest question of viability (and for me anything more than just a spot or half filled at lock down is questionable), they are staying in until the hatch is done.

8. MisfitMarie

Oct 20, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for all of the replies! I'm still really bummed, but I'm feeling a little better. It helps to know that I'm not alone. The best I can do is to just learn from it and never do it again. I think, from now on, I will only be culling the OBVIOUS clears or OBVIOUS CLEARS WITH RED RING. If I ever see anything "strange" or "weird" again, especially now that I know what dark feather fuzz looks like through white egg shell, they will be going into lockdown until it's Day 25 or I start smelling something bad...

I hope that chick died quickly, and it will serve as a solemn reminder to be extremely careful with these developing embryos. I agree with some of the above comments, that it's different with a baby chick. I can quickly and humanely harvest happy free-ranging chickens and put them on the dinner table. But wasting a little life like who never got a chance to live from no fault of its own? That just sinks straight down into my gut.

Here's to no more newbie mistakes!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  9. Sabz

Sabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Hey Marie! Want to hear another newbie mistake so you can feel slightly better?

Well, my first hatch was 3 weeks ago. I had only one fertile egg. It hatched and I spent ALL night with him in my arm, or sleeping on my stomach (I had a wool pijama on, he wasn't cold at all).

I gave him about 40 kissed, I smelled him (there is a strange smell to a baby chick.. like the inside of the egg mixed with feather smell).. I remember his little feet so yellow and smooth, very different from mommy hen's feet.

And then it was time for me to sleep. So I put down little baby in the incubator, went to sleep.. and my cat ate it!!!!!!!!! ARGGG.
    Next morning I jumped out of bed, impatient to see the baby.... and instead I had a half chick on my carpet!! I had to touch it, pick it up and dispose! yuk yuk yuk...

I will say like others, we learn by our mistakes. I had read sad stories about opening eggs, so I don't. I have some hatching today, and I think all the white eggs are not fertilized but I was too afraid to open then, I am waiting.

But I had no idea those eggs could explode!!! ouf.. I hope they don't.

10. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I doubt there is any of us who have incubated who has not made this same mistake, some of us have made the mistake more than once.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by