1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

I am a worming nightmare

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NHchicks, May 11, 2011.

  1. NHchicks

    NHchicks Songster

    May 13, 2010
    I did dose 7 of my 8 girls with Eprinex today for a secondary mite treatment (the last one is a toughie to catch but I'll get her tomorrow). 0.5 cc between the shoulder blades.

    But I used rubber gloves and a dust mask and I was sure I was going to spill the liquid all over the place and kill all life on the planet and eat my hands away like acid. I am a nervous wreck using toxic stuff. And really, instead of between the shoulder blades, the drops really ended up towards the back of the neck, and I'm also a little nervous I might have caused them brain damage this way.

    Oh I know, I'm just being paranoid and neurotic. But does anyone else get nervous using toxic substances?

    Tomorrow I get to don safety goggles, a dust mask, rubber gloves, maybe even a plastic bag over my head as I pump spray the coop with Sevin liquid concentrate, which I have to mix with water tomorrow.

    The only thing that makes me take this risk and persevere is the memory of those mites biting my girls' legs at night in the coop. I'm willing to take on toxic materials to get rid of them, but I hope this does not happen too often.

    The first dose for the mites was the Prozap dust, and the area of the lawn where I used that is now grass-less (maybe it would have been grass-less anyway, I don't know).

    I haven't read any posts here about people nervous to use this stuff, I'm probably one of the more extreme cases.

    Sorry, just had to rant about that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by