I am about to get chicks, Now what??

Katechicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
Hey guys!
I am getting my first chicks on Thursday and I don't have a clue what to do next!
I have looked at the BYC pages and I have most of the supplies needed... but any advice for a newbie?
I am getting six red Sussex chicks, and I can't wait!!!!
Thanks!

Last edited:
Six is a good number to get for starting. WHen you first get them have the heat lamp ready and dip each of the beaks in water so they learn how to drink. Paper towel down for first three days so they learn what is food and what's not. Make sure they don't get wind/breezes in their brooder. Then enjoy!

Make sure never to use ceder or shredded newspaper. Pine shavings are the best covered by paper towel for first few days of course. Good luck!

welcome-byc.gif

I agree.
Here are some good reference books:
"Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens", by Gail Damerow, "Raising Chickens For Dummies", by Kimberley Willis and Rob Ludlow. "The Chicken Health Handbook", by Gail Damerow,
reading.gif
Good luck and have fun!!!

Last edited:
My brooder is a large wire dog kennel ( a Great Dane would be quite happy in it) I am planning on wrapping wire cloth around it so the chicks won't fall out!
lol.png

Thank you for the refrance books, I will check my local library asap!

Welcome to BYC!
Make sure you have water and starter feed and a heat lamp. Just make sure you don't get them too hot in all this heat.
I think you will do fine!

Good idea wrapping the dog crate. Those little chicks can squeeze out of the smallest holes! Not sure what 'wrapping wire cloth' is will it keep out drafts?
Good luck enjoy your chicks
love.gif

Just curious as I am a newbie too... do you have a coop yet? I got my coop first, I havent even decided on breed yet. Congrats though and good luck! I am excited to get mine!

Quote:
I believe she means that she is going to wrap hardware cloth around the kennel to reduce the hole size. So it won't keep out drafts.

and to the OP
welcome-byc.gif

Oh and be prepared a day early. We were not and our chicks arrived early but luckily we were almost prepared so we were able to get things done in time.

Enjoy your new babies.

I would recommend cutting some cardboard and wrapping around the inside of the kennel. It will keep heat in as well as dirt! You should only need it to be a foot high or so.

Back
Top Bottom