I am almost positive it is (Dry) Fowl pox final update!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Foleys, May 19, 2010.

1. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    So I am almost 100% sure it is Dry fowl pox. In a different post I posted some pics but they were a little blurry. Here are some more that are a little better. I also went out and sat with him today and noticed he was still eating but he was closing his eyes which I have never seen him do before. Sould I be worried about that. I feel so bad [​IMG] about what is going on with him. But if it is fowl pox and he has it now am I correct he can not get it again.. Her are some pics..

This is 4 or 5 days ago..
    [​IMG]

This is Him today
    [​IMG]
    He is still eating
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    definetely looks like fowl pox to me. I hope he get's better!

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I wasn't able to see the pictures, but I read through the other thread on it and it does look like it might be dry pox based on the information you posted. Don't panic! It looks like once he's over it that it's done. It's not one of those awful diseases that make them carriers for life or anything. [​IMG]

Tractor Supply carries a vitamin/electrolyte solution that might help.

Edited: I can see the pics now!

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  4. Foleys

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    I would like to wash it a bit but a afraid to get my eyes pecked out [​IMG] cause he is still a little shy. should i triple antibiotic ointment on it...?? [​IMG]

5. Southernbelle

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:It can't hurt and might help him heal faster. Try going down at night when he's quiet and can't see well, then you can pluck him off the roost and wrap him in a towel so he's not flapping around.

6. Foleys

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Quote:It can't hurt and might help him heal faster. Try going down at night when he's quiet and can't see well, then you can pluck him off the roost and wrap him in a towel so he's not flapping around.

Hey good Idea I just wash it with soap and water right and then put the sab on.

7. Foleys

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Oh and I want to thank everyone who has helped me with this problum. Everything is so new to me so feel like I am walkin in the dark without a flashlight or lighter..lol

8. Southernbelle

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia

Hey good Idea I just wash it with soap and water right and then put the sab on.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I don't have any experience treating fowl pox myself, but the article you posted in the other thread said that should help them heal faster as well as putting vitamins in the water.

[​IMG]

9. Foleys

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Well looks like ill have to run to tractor supply for some vitimens

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Fowl pox is a virus,antibiotics wont help nor washing with soap and water. Antibiotic cream should be used if there's a secondary infection. The scabs dry up and drop off and reform somewhere else on the comb or wattles. The scabs are highly infective. Try using diluted iodine to help dry up the scabs. Fowl pox usually takes about 30 days to run its course and disappear, If the scabs get near the eyes, do your best to remove it using a Q-tip (very carefully) and maybe tweezers...you dont want your rooster scratching the scab and getting an eye infection, then use neosporin where you pulled the scab off to prevent secondary bacterial infection. It's really tough to treat fowl pox, vigilance and patience will get you thru this. Fowl pox is spread by mosquitos, also if infected wild birds come in contact with your chickens. If the fowl pox gets in their mouth or throat,it's called 'wet pox' and then it's a new ballgame dealing with that. The best thing is that after it's over with, they'll be immune to the virus.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by