I am amazed that some of you don't get eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LarrySC, Jan 24, 2011.

1. LarrySC

LarrySC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    Don't take this wrong; I believe you when you say you are not getting many eggs.. This is our first year ever with hens; we have 8 ( 5 Amberlinks, 2 BO's and 1 Silver Wyandots. ) We got them all around easter ,last year;from Tractor Supply ; They started laying in August, and have never changed in the laying habits;;Our 8 hens lay an average of 6 1/2 eggs everyday.. We have never had a day with less than 5, and many days of 8.. We keep records everyday, and since August we get either 44, 45, 46, or 47 eggs every single week, never less.. I have read so much on here about hens needing 14 hours of light to lay, but I am here to tell you that our's never have had any extra light, and our daylight here in SC was down to less than 10 hours, and it has been a very cold winter for us, many nights in the teens, plus serveral days of snow on the ground. Our hens have a run of about 500 square feet, and we feed them Laying mash, everyday, with a little scratch as a snack;; They also get several pieces of white bread a day; They love it.. So I am wondering; are we just lucky; is it the food; or is it the breed of chickens;; or is it just because this is the first year for them.. It just blows my mind that some of you have dozens, and get one or two eggs a day...

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Let us know how they are laying next year- and then the year after!!! The first year is wonderful! Enjoy it while you can!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Just FYI, it's common for pullets in their first season of laying to lay well in the wintertime, no matter the amount of light (artificial and natural) or the weather.
    If you are going to see a winter slowdown, it will likely be in their second year.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:x2 (including the welcome). Your pullets probably have not had their first adult molt yet. Next year they will start to molt around late Fall and will stop laying for 6-8 weeks during that time.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:x2 (including the welcome). Your pullets probably have not had their first adult molt yet. Next year they will start to molt around late Fall and will stop laying for 6-8 weeks during that time.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA

x4

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    with 16 hens, I'm lucky to get 6 in a day. Sad I know. I'm hoping warmer weather will bring more eggs.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Most of my 28 hens are 3-5 years old. I have been getting 15-17 eggs daily, but we went with a long spell of 3-8 eggs daily. As they age, they will slow down, trust me.

9. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Quote:Yup, wait until next winter. My hens, new in o9 layed like gangbuster's their first winter. This winter I was lucky to get two eggs on some day's. Many day's I got none. I'm now back up to 5-8 with the day's getting longer and their first molt over with.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

x4

x5 Plus next year your girls will molt and they don't lay when they molt. I have one (my BR) that started her molt in early October and she's STILL not back to laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by