1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Am An Idiot

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ninjapoodles, Sep 15, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Officially, I mean. I know it's no surprise to many of you. [​IMG]

OK, so, I have a very precious few BBS Ameraucana eggs incubating. I have had NO luck candling or building a candler that worked right, so I've been unable to see inside. I should have bought a candler or had someone walk me through making one before getting started--that lesson's learned.

Anyway, when Day 21 came and went with no activity, I just gave them up for lost. Out of curiosity, because I wanted to see if they had ever begun to develop in the first place, and how far along they got, if so, I popped the top off of one egg. I did it carefully not because I suspected there might be anything living inside, but because I was afraid of getting extremely grossed out. [​IMG] Yeah, I know, lame.

I'm sure you know what is coming. Once I could see into the air cell, I saw movement. You could have knocked me over with a feather. I feel terrible. I covered the hole with a warm, damp cloth and put the egg back into the incubator with the others. I know I probably killed it, but now I'm hoping against hope that some of the others are viable and will make it to hatch. [​IMG]

How long should I wait, before giving them up for dead? I obviously jumped the gun the first time.

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Give it a few more days. I had EEs and guineas hatch out 3-4 days late this go around.

[​IMG]

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If I can't see into an egg by candling I usually wait until day 24 to be sure.

I've had one hatch on day 23.

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    You're not an idiot...you're a first time egg hatcher! We've all done that!

5. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

You poor thing. How awful. [​IMG] I wouldn't toss them out until day 25. Just me. I send you good luck that humpty dumpty and some friends hatch![​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have read that they can be up to 2 days late, but I'm not sure. As far as the candler goes, I just use a flashlight. It is one of the bigger ones at wal-mart (maybe $10), but I sit in the room where the bator is with the lights off, wrap my hand around the egg, and set it (on it's side) on top of the flashlight. Of course, my eggs are relatively small, being bantam pullet eggs, but it works pretty good. I usually have to wait until day 8 or 9 to see anything, but it works well enough.

7. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks! None of them are "bad," by which I mean there are no odors or cracks or bulges, so they're certainly not hurting anything by sitting there a few more days if need be.

Also, we followed the directions on the incubator (LG still air) for temperatures, and everything I've read since recommends slightly higher temps for still air incubators. So maybe our temp was slightly too low and caused a slow hatch?

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:That's the way I am too. I keep the little things in there just hoping and praying that they will hatch forever, until i know they won't. Now whenever I have candled them late like that, I haven't seen any movement. Maybe cuz of the flashlight?

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:That could be entirely possible. I bet you get a few pips soon [​IMG]

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Depending on my bators temp and the hatch rate of the others I always open
    the remaining eggs by the end of day 22. I've killed a few chicks, and a few have
    made it.

When you cracked the air cell did you see the beek? Pump up the humidity.
    Check your thermometer too. Chances are the bator is too cold.

All may not be lost.

A cheap little flashlight in a dark room will candle an egg relatively well.

You're not an idiot. I would have done the same thing. If anything you may have
    saved the others or learned something that will help you on future hatches.

No worries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by