1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am beginning to hate squirrels

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LilyD, Aug 4, 2011.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Okay I admit I used to think they were cute even when they got in the bird feeder. I used to think that they were nice they didn't attack people. Then I got chickens. They raid my coop and steal food from inside the coop. I started chasing them away from there and now they are getting into the large barrels I use for holding food. He started taking the cover off and when I bungied the top on the darn thing chewed through the lid to get to the food. I am going to get another metal container so that he won't be able to get in it anymore and my husband has been told to shoot on sight. It's getting ridiculous.

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  3. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    My husband just went out to try and get a shot at it with his 22 and the thing actually ran into the coop when it saw him coming. [​IMG]

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I got a squirrel trap.Shooting would be much faster though!I agree when the animals start raiding the feed and garden it is time for them to go.

5. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Yeah, one ate through the lid of my feed bucket too. Then, I got out to pick tomatoes and the nasty little buggers have eaten half of the tomatoes, and by that I mean half of each tomato. Aaaaarrrrrgh. [​IMG]

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I love squirrels. Sorry. They work hard, play hard, are resourceful. Won't harm your birds. Once you put sufficient food storage barrels or metal weights on top of your storage barrels they won't be able to get to the main stores of food. I actually enjoy feeding my squirrels peanuts and sunflower seeds and they have no interest in the chicken feed whatsoever. Nor have they ever had interest in veggie gardens, when I had them.

chi - that's a funny carton [​IMG]
    JJ

7. Renthorin

Renthorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    For me it's the chipmonks. I catch the little bas$*& in my live trap, along with ground squirrels from time to time. I know they don't hurt chickens but in my yard, I train Border Collies for agility and those rodents dig perfect leg-sized holes. One dog leg in when running hard and SNAP, no more agility for you.

I've yet to see any critter in my coop. I would hope the ladies would defend their food and eat them :)

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If the the little varmits are your friends, they're not mine. I watered, pampered, and looked after my sweet corn for almost two months. Everything was going good when the ear developed and really started growing. Then came the bushy tail rats and in three days. I have not one ear left and three fourths of the stalks broken off at the ground. Now I just shoot them all. If it has a bushy tail it's guilty.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  9. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:[​IMG] I DO NOT like squirrels! To me they are rats with cute fuzzy tails. In my last home, a squirrel moved into my attic and made a nest in late summer. It ripped up my instulation, bit through my wiring and literally cost us a good 1,500 dollars in damages, between the exterminator, electrician and misc repairs. Not to mention the countless night's sleep it caused us during it's scurring up in there. Many of homes have caught on fire, traced back to these rodents. They also have destroyed several of my bird feeders and destroyed my flower beds. They scratch their fleas etc constantly..gross! [​IMG]

10. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    We live in the mountains and there are squirrels everywhere. Although I do have to say I think they are cute, they can be an annoyance. Luckily though, we seem to have very little problems with them. They run along the top of the fence of our pen, but never go into the pen. All our feed is kept in metal cans with a brick on top, so they never get into it. The forest we live in is pine, oak and cedar and so between the pine cones and the acorns, they keep very busy eating and burying. They do make a huge mess with the pine cones though and they are always yelling at us from their favorite tree, but other wise, they don't bother us. They don't eat my garden either for some reason. Perhaps they are too full from the pine cones to worry about the tomatoes. I have way more problems with the jays, ravens, robins and all the other birds getting my berries and peaches than I do with the squrrels. I never feed them either because the jays try to steal their peanuts and it always ends up in a skirmish, so now they all have to fend for themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by