I am brand new to this, and lovin it.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by paul67, Jun 1, 2007.

1. paul67

paul67 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2007
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I bought four 1 week old pullets, two buff orpingtons, one light brahma, and one ameraucana and have almost completed the hen house and am working on their fenced yard,will post pics adventually. I am in southern California and am debating getting an automatic door opener/closer (advertised on this site) for protection against racoons, opposums and other pests. I am wondering if anyone has experience with these, pros/cons.
    I love the site and have learned alot already.

2. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi there & welcome to BYC. You can't go wrong with those Buff Orps, they are the sweetest.
    I don't know a thing about the auto door thing. [​IMG]
    Anyways, nice to have ya.
    Miriam

3. paul67

Jun 1, 2007
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Thanks Miriam, about the orpingtons. Are they good layers?

4. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    I also have orpingtons that are laying and yes, they are a good laying breed. Very consistent.
    Kristyne

5. paul67

Jun 1, 2007
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Thanks Kristyne. I am father of two as well. Son Nathan 4 1/2 yrs and son Kyler 7 1/2months. Nathans genius idea to get the chicks.

6. missusduray

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    My son is 3 1/2 and my daughter is one year. My kids think that the chicks are great. I fell in love with the buff orpingtons that I got free from my mother in law and i had to have chickies. I am enjoying the experience. How about you?
    Kristyne

7. paul67

Jun 1, 2007
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Its all I want to do. Iam spending way to much time on these girls. I cant wait to move them into their new quarters.

8. missusduray

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    I am a stay at home mom so I take care of kids and the pets and the house and now the chickens. I do all that and try to answer any questions on here that I can. When I was new here, it was frustrating not to get an answer. So I do my best to help others out.
    I understand how you feel. I feel like I should be there with them all the time.
    Kristyne

9. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    It is strange how attached you become. I would've never thought that I could sit and watch some chickens for an hour and it would seem like a minute. They are so hilarious!!
    I am just dying because I know some of mine are going to turn out to be roosters and I want maybe ONE. It kills me that some are going to have to go, but I just don't have enough room. [​IMG]

10. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Sterling, Ohio
    I was contemplating the auto door as well, but my only concern was it closing and not all of my girls making it in in time.

as for the chicks.....as a stay at home dad, and a caregiver to my mother i get to to spend a lot of time with em. most days its the most intelligent conversation i have all day [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by