1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am brand new

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kelownachickens, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Kelownachickens

Kelownachickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    I have a million questions! How do all the eggs from one hen hatch on the same day when she obviously didn't lay them on the same day? How do you know which eggs to use for the incubator? what is their gestational period? Ok, there is a start! Thank you fellow chicken lovers!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] . The only answer I have is that the eggs don't actually start growing until she sits on them. That means the day she starts sitting is when all of the eggs start their incubation period.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    [​IMG]
    Same as above. Good question, someone else might have wanted to know the answer. [​IMG]

4. blueeyeddemon

blueeyeddemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2012
    South Texas

1 person likes this.
  5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. Kelownachickens

Sep 6, 2012
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    Thank you for some answers! I knew they layed eggs, I just didn't know for sure how long it takes for the chick to hatch. So, during the egg candling, what would I be looking for to say one egg is better than the other kinda thing? Also, how long is an egg good for if its not sat on? Viability, I mean...for example, can i take an egg that sat in room temperature for a week and still be able to hatch it? Thanks!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You can candle the egg to see if it's developing. Here's a good guide: Egg Candling Pics: Progression Though Incubation You must store hatching eggs in a cool place (not the fridge) for no longer than 10 days. After a week the chance of it hatching drops.

Edited to add: [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  8. Kelownachickens

Sep 6, 2012
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    Really neat pictures! So, would I just take whatever eggs I find in the coup? I am really excited to try this now! My rooster is gorgeous! I don't remember what breed he is, nor my hens...if I post pictures maybe some of you experienced owners can tell me. The hens were black as chicks, sold as good layers, and are still black with a reddish brown on head. And quite friendly. Can chickens and turkeys share a pen, if they are free ranged for the day?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by