I am chicken (excuse the pun).....

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by MandyH, Jan 7, 2009.

1. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Of making homemade bread!!!!! Could somebody please give me a GOOD and EASY recipe for wheat bread with THOROUGH instructions. I love to cook and bake but have always steered clear of bread because the recipes are always so long and scary. I don't want bread machine recipes.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i know!..i feel the same way!..i LOVE hot/fresh bread..[​IMG]...but...i'm a chicken also..it just seems so hard to do!...[​IMG]..

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:the one i posted earlier can be made with wheat bread. it seems lengthy, but it really takes no time at all for each step. if you find it to be too heavy, substitute one cup of white flour or bread flour for one cup of wheat flour.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=119322

what exactly are you concerned over about the bread making? is it the time it takes, worried it might not work, just never tried it? i used to be terrified, but now i'll never go back to store bought.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:seriously, it's cake....well, bread....but you know what i mean!

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    any time i have ever touched bread dough it was a diaster!..liks last week..i had some of those frozen bread dough loaves...[​IMG]...so..i thawed them out...decided i was going to make a pizza...yeah right!...it wouldnt form in the pizza pan..it kept springing back on me..then i tore it...and it would NOT mend back together...so then i tried to use a rolling pin on it...that flattened it out okay..but..it still would not hold the pan shape..it kept springing back into a small piece in the center of the pan!!!...then my husband was helping me stretch it out..*he had one end of the dough and i the other end*..then we made it to thin..*you could see through it*...SO we had to start it ALL over again!....by the time dinner was fixed i wasnt speaking to my husband cause he ripped it AGAIN!..[​IMG]..and so we had to roll it out again to get the rip to seal up...[​IMG]...it was a nightmare!....maybe youre not supposed to use bread dough for pizza dough?...[​IMG]....i'm scared of it now...[​IMG]....[​IMG]..

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

It's all the kneading, waiting, rising, punching, kneading, waiting, rising etc.... THEN, you may turn out a loaf with the consistency of a log, or wet toilet paper!! I have a bread machine and have never liked the end result, so I want to make REAL live bread. Also, I am allergic to most commercial breads, pizza dough, soft pretzels and such. My throat swells closed.

7. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    Thay do make a quick rise yeast. You may want to try that. Just take a day and work with it. You`ll either really enjoy the experience or find out it is not for you. Give it a try.

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:that is the gluten acting sassy. i will post a pizza dough recipe for you.

here's the skinny...frozen dough can be hard to stretch. that's why it's thrown. centrifugal force does all the work.

i always use more than what recipes say is for one pizza. if you end up with too much, trim it and make bread sticks.

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:too much kneading will give you a rock. wet toilet paper, that's probably needing more flour. any bread recipe will need to be altered with more or less flour depending on the humidity and weather.

i don't use a bread machine because it takes way too long for a little loaf.

what are you allergic to?

10. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    ok, this is how i make mine, and it doesnt take even an hour!

first, i take a cup of hot water from the tap and pour it in a big bowl. then i add 3 tablespoons of yeast and 3 of sugar..then i swirl it around and leave it until its bubbly. then i add about a quarter cup of shortening or lard to the yeast mix and then half a cup of wheat flour, and enough white flour to make the dough. keep adding it until you can knead it with your hands without it being all sticky and wet. then i just knead it in the bowl for about 5 minutes, then i either shape it into a loaf shape and put it in a loaf pan, or i pull off bits to make dough balls. i let it rise in the oven at about 250 degrees and after they are a bit puffy, i turn it up to 400 for about 20 minutes [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] i make these almost every night and they are so good!
    some recipes really over complicate the whole thing, in my opinion.

ETA obviously if there is more than enough for a single loaf pan, make a loaf of bread and a pan of rolls [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by