I am chickening out! expecting 1st shipment of day old chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gertsgal, Nov 10, 2011.

1. gertsgal

gertsgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    I have ordered my first 12 day olds from Ideal poultry and they will be here nov. 16th. I have 2 roosters and 5 hens that I love dearly. I am getting cold feet about these babies. Such a big responsablity. 12 babies all at once. Although I have read all the books I don't know if I'm up to the task.Any words of encouragement would be much appreciated!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

What are you worried about? I don't find chickens take up a lot of time.. If anything, it's a stress reliever. I thoroughly enjoy watching them and taking care of them. I haven't raised chicks yet.. I am looking forward to that in the spring.

What are your biggest worries?

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    You will do great. I have 8 6 week old chicks and was the same way. But there doing great. I'm sure you know what your doing. [​IMG] Here i[​IMG]s one of my little chicks when it was little.

4. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Breathe! Relax! Chicks are wonderfully resilient creatures. You just need to apply common sense and make sure they have a source of heat, out of drafts and food and water. Then sit back and enjoy. Nothing to it. If I can do it, you can. I have never had any animals, not even pets as a kid because my mother was/is afraid of all animals. So this was (at 50) a first for me and I am loving it.

5. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    You'll do wonderfully.
    While all this info is exactly what you should have, it also makes a novice pretty overwhelmed. I am sure you will find, as I did, that most of the info you got was superfluous. It really is as easy as you thought when you hit "checkout".
    Not every day will be simple. but you're already took the most important step, signed up for BYC. This site is incredibly helpful.
    I had the same wave of worry after I brought home my chicks, then my ducks, then my angora. Everyone has settled in beautifully, and they brighten my day even on the worst days. (We just got our first egg yesterday & another today. It really is worth it.)

Best of luck. And CONGRATS! Raising chickens is a wonderful experience.[​IMG]

6. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:pretty much the same here! You will do great- enjoy!!

7. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Anyone who gives them a little attention can do this. They are so CUTE you will be back so often with food/water/treats they will become....spoiled...[​IMG]

Being chicks they let you know what they want.....

PEEP!! = "I want FOOD/WATER!!!" [Huddle] = "I'm cold and all my friends are cold!!" [Jump out of the box and kick up A LOT of dust] = "quit babying us so much.... we need a bigger box or to go to an outside brooder." [​IMG]

BTW I never had pets as a child either.....

8. flspnr

flspnr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    I've done it 3 times, and I've only been raising chickens since June, I don't have a single one laying yet! Be careful though! It's addicting. [​IMG] They will be fine, you will be fine, and it's tons and tons of fun!!

9. gertsgal

gertsgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Thanks ya'll. I just found information on the Echoglow and that makes me feel better too. Wahooo!!! Babies on the way!

10. Atlantakycklingar

Atlantakycklingar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Atlanta
    PEEP PEEP PEEP! PEEP PEEP PEEP! PEEEEEEP!

That's chick-speak for, "We'll be fine mama! Don't fret!" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by