I am clueless about what to do about my Silkies who I think may have Gapeworm :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Freejjo, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Freejjo

Freejjo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2014
    Australia Brisbane
    I have never needed to deal with a worm in my Silkies as I am fairly new to owning a chicken. Recently, welost one of our Silkies who appeared to be sticking out her head, opening her mouth wide and lifting her tail up whenever she tried to breathe. We later found her dead on the ground. I am really worried about what happened and decided to ask here about what I can do to prevent it spreading. We have a fenced off area behind out house with what I think are Turkeys. At first i thought it couldn'e be Gapeworm but just today I woke up to find we had lost another one. I have no idea what type of worming agent we should use and want to stop the worms before they reach our other chickens. I've done some research but all these different types of medications are confusing so I thought this community might be able to help us out :D I live in Brisbane so if that helps...

Thanks

Tam

2. gabbychickens44

gabbychickens44 New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    Hi! I'm Gabby and I live in San Francisco. I have a friend who lives in Brisbane too!

So sorry to hear about your Silkies. You should consider moving the rest of the flock to a safe place, such as another part of the yard thats clean. Wash all of their food/water containers w/ hot, soapy water (to make sure there's no bacteria) and clean the bedding for their roosting area. there's Chicken Wormer that kills and stops the cycle of worms inside a chicken. http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/worming-chickens can give you more info. Chicken Wormer is available online, so you can get it there!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Although some people really do have gapeworms in their flocks, many times a respiratory infection such as ILT, MG. or others could be the reason for the deaths. If your chickens can eat and drink without problems, they probably don not have gapeworm, but respiratory problems. A vet can test the droppings for gapeworm. Gapeworm is usually found in tropical areas where the Surinam cockroach is found since that its the intermediate host of syngamus trachea or gapeworm. For ILT and some respiratory diseases, which are viruses, the virus has to run it's course since antibiotics won't help. For MG and others that are bacterial or mycoplasmal, antibiotics such as tylan 50, oxytetracycline, or duramycin may help. for genuine gapeworm, dewormers such as Valbazen in one 1/2 ml dose followed in 10 days, or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/2-1 ml in 3 straight doses daily will treat it. Here are some links to read:
    http://poultrykeeper.com/digestive-system-problems/gape-worm-or-syngamus-trachea
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. Freejjo

Dec 17, 2014
    Australia Brisbane

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  5. Lizzydrippin

Lizzydrippin Just Hatched

Oct 11, 2014
    Cornwall, UK
    Hallo,
    I am also a fairly new chicken owner. I have an 8 month old chicken who up till now has been healthy but this morning I noticed she is opening her mouth and almost looking like she's chewing on something and every now and then she will bring up some phlegm.
    I have no idea what this could be , I did think it could be gape worm but having never seen this before , I have no idea. This hen is alert and seems happy apart from the phlegm. Any advise would be great full.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    She is most likely adjusting her crop due to possible impacted crop or gizzard as evidenced by the liquid you're seeing. It's not gapeworm.

7. Lizzydrippin

Lizzydrippin Just Hatched

Oct 11, 2014
    Cornwall, UK
    Thanks for that. How would you suggest I treat this please?

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I see now that you are in Australia. Wormout Gel or tablets , or Levamisole may be the more appropriate wormer for you for treatment of gapeworm. This link is a company that sells both: http://www.planetpoultry.com.au/medications/69-worm-out-gel-vetafarm.html

Here is a link for Tylan Soluble Powder for respiratory diseases in Australia: http://www.petceutics.com.au/tylan-sol-powder-100g.html
    Dosage is 1 tsp of powder per gallon (4 liters) of water given as only source of water for 5 days.

9. Freejjo

Dec 17, 2014
    Australia Brisbane
    Well we went out yesterday and just managed to grab some electrolytes and a bottle of wormer called aristopet.

We gave them the electrolytes this morning and tomorrow morning we will give them the aristopet.

Fingers crossed this works :)

Thanks

Tam

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by