I am completely new to owning chickens but am planning for the future.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by InsanityShard, Mar 13, 2017.

1. InsanityShard

InsanityShard Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2017
    Hi, I'm Autistic, this is my first post here- some things I pick up on easily, others, I have a lot of trouble understanding. I really love Buff Lace Chickens, and in 15-20 years if all goes to plan I'll have enough saved up to get a house built! I plan on staying in this city, but out of the flood zones. In Winter it can get down to 4C and in Summer it can get around 36C here, and I love my pets so I'm willing to go as far as letting the chickens in my house if it gets too hot or cold for a coop to be enough. There are, of course, many snakes and spiders in this area, and sadly, some foxes too. If I dig down about 3 feet, and pour in an inch of concrete along the sides and bottom, put in a strong fence, wood at the bottom for around a foot and more deeper underground, will this protect my chickens from foxes? I know snakes can climb. Would shadecloth stop snakes without affecting my chickens health? I would like to get 3 Buff Lace Hens and a Silkie chicken, though that can be either gender. I know males help them lay but I don't want them breeding. The area would be 7.5 meters by 4.5 meters, is this big enough for a chicken coop and run for these 4 chickens? I did do agriculture class at school but didn't get any of the theory lessons, I was on a part time timetable and spent most of my time just catching and hugging the chickens. I did learn enough to know they need an area for dust baths, be wary of certain grasses, males help the females lay and how to tell their gender as well as how to hold them. Aside from that, I know next to nothing. Not even how to check them for ticks, since we get paralysis ticks in this area I feel that's important. I want to raise them from very young so I can handle them easily, so if there's a big storm I can get them into the garage. I hope to turn half the garage into a stable for a mini horse, but even if I don't I'll still have it set up for my chickens and stuff to go indoors when there's a big storm. I'm in South East Queensland, Australia. I won't be responding for today since I need to go get more catfood and other stuff.

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Hi there!

Hens (girls) will lay just fine with out a male around.

3. ScottandSam

ScottandSam I'm still here. Premium Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri
    Welcome to BYC..
    Our hens lay like crazy with no rooster around.
    I have seen others from your area on here and maybe one will chime in here on what works in your part of the world.
    I have found chicken to be very a whole different kind of pet that I'm am glad We own.

Scott

4. Peaky

Peaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2017
    Hi There
    Well it sounds like you are on your way and that you have a good plan. Welcome to BYC, its a great forum to learn a lot about chickens. I agree with Scott. There are probably others in your area that have chickens who could be very helpful Keep up the good work. Peaky

5. Mcatgirl

Mcatgirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2016
    Ohio
    All my girls lay everyday, no rooster here!

As for space they say 4 square feet for each girl in the coop & 10 square ft a bird for outdoor space.

When I made my run I used wire cloth. It's strong & hard for rodents to get through. I don't have foxes here but if you do the research you'll find plenty of good answers! Have fun

6. InsanityShard

InsanityShard Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2017
    Well, I was wrong about not being able to reply, a thunderstorm finally hit. XD I hope it lasts for hours and the rain doesn't stop for days, we need it. According to an area calculator, the full area I have for building a coop/making a run is 363 square feet, so no problems there for space. =D But I don't want a large amount, 4 is just fine. I'll be wheelchair bound by the time I can get this built, or close to it. That won't mean I can't have chickens and a big garden with lots of plants and pets. Buff Lace and Silkie hens here I come! Will a single Silkie feel out of place/get pushed around more by the Buff Lace or will it depend on personality alone? At least now I know with this size they'll be spoiled for space and be able to have a nice big coop. That also means I can add a little pond or something for them too. And a shade tree.

7. Mcatgirl

Mcatgirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2016
    Ohio

Sounds great! I spoil my girls too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by