I am convinced this is a quiet roo....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by notabadegg, Aug 14, 2014.

1. notabadegg

notabadegg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got all my chicks at the same time near the beginning of March. So they are roughly 22 weeks old. This is a rhode island red. I have a few more pics if needed. There has been no crowing at all but this guy looks nothing like the two other RIRs I have. Got to be a roo right?

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I'm no expert, but it looks awfully roo-ish to me [​IMG]

Hopefully others will be able to confirm, but I have RIR girls and they look nothing like that!

Plus, I think I can see saddle and hackle feathers there.

I hope I'm wrong!

- Krista

3. notabadegg

Aug 10, 2014
    By the way....i SUPER want a roo....i really hope this is my guy.

4. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

For being 22 weeks old this would be a slower developing rooster for a production breed like RIR but he does look that way. It looks like he has saddle feathers but doesn't have the typical long tail feathers unless those were plucked by the other chickens (had that happen to one of my Roos) and his comb and wattles also look smaller but then again some boys are just late bloomers like I assume this one is. I guess you should think of yourself as lucky without any crowing yet! My young roos started at about week 10! Now at week 14 he is about as loud as my previous adult roosters and starts at about 5 AM.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    100% rooster

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Definitely a rooster.

7. LovemyBabies

LovemyBabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Marysville,Washington
    Our RIR took forever to crow when we got him - we thought he was considering himself more hen than roo- lmao- they're just late bloomers in the crowing department - def a rooster- he'll crow, I forgot what age ours did , I know it was well into the girls laying- won't be quiet for long. Lol

8. notabadegg

Aug 10, 2014
    I have had roos before and it was painfully obvious before now so he threw me off being such a late bloomer. And he did have a couple of curled tail feathers.....a few weeks ago. The girls must have picked them. How sad....could he get them back?

9. LovemyBabies

LovemyBabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Marysville,Washington

They'll grow back - our Big Red always has jacked up tail feathers and the girls always pull them out to grow back and repeat the process. Lol

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a rooster, he's just slower to develop. Happens with birds just like with people [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by