I am crawling under a rock...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Camelot Farms, May 15, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Since DH left on his lengthy business trip last Sunday, the following have happened.

1) Truck went in the shop for brake line work. Instead, they replaced the calipers to the tune of almost $800.
    2) Truck brakes went out again and back into shop. This time they replaced the brake line for just under $700.
    3) Truck is in 'hoc' cause I dont have another $700.
    4) This means I cant haul off trash...P U.
    5) This also means that I cant go pick up hay for the horse who is almost out
    6) While mowing the lawn this morning, I heard a bang and the mower began to roll backwards.
    7) From under the front of the mower I see the blades lying on the ground.
    8) Mower finally stops when it runs over and flattens one of this years cherry trees.
    9) I hear chaos in the barn this morning and find that my chicks have escaped their pen through the itty bittiest space in the door.
    10) One child has been to the ER already this week.
    11) Another child is going to Urgent Care as soon as they open for possible Pneumonia.

So, if y'all need me...I will be under my rock with a huge Margarita!
  2. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
  3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I am so sorry, when it rains it pours. I hope things get better for you. [​IMG]
  4. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maybe you have just gotten rid of a whole year of mishaps in one week and the rest of the year will be smooth sailing. Move over under that rock...I want some of that Margarita.
  5. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Sorry you are having so much trouble. We do all have times like this(everything breaks at the same time). A word of advice...find you another mechanic. If he would have replaced the brake lines to start with, you probably wouldn't have had to replace the calipers. I'm quite sure it was the flexible lines that go from the chassis to the calipers. When these lines get old they break down on the inside and only allow the fluid to go one way, thus keeping the brakes applied until they fade. I see mechanics do this same thing to people all of the time. Also both of these prices seen way beyond the usual charges. What kind of truck is this?

Good luck,
  6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It'll get better! [​IMG]
  7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It's a little early for a Margarita. I suggest a Bloody Mary instead.

Like Gritsar said, it will get better. But that does not make it a whole lot easier to deal with now. Just struggle through and have a nice little breakdown when hubby gets back. You deserve it.
  8. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Oh wow! You have had a crappy week. I say you deserve that Margarita [​IMG] I hope things better for you soon. Take a deep breath. [​IMG]
  9. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:Thanks Marty. It is a Chevy Silverado 2002 Ext Cab.
    I had told him that it was the flexible brake lines were blown when I took it in. [​IMG]
    When DH gets home, he will sort it all out with them. I was just so stunned at the cost that I was speechless. We have had all of our truck work done there for years. First time that we have ever been taken for a ride like this.
    To add insult to injury....when I opened the hood to check the level of brake fluuid between breakdown 1 and 2, it was easy to check cause the cap wasnt even on the reservoir. Which means of course that the lines were suckin air. I dont even know how they managed to bleed them out.

My charges were as follows

First time:
    Front Calipers... 140
    Rear Calipers... 177
    Lines and fittings...41
    Fluid... 32
    Service...4 hrs at 65...260

Second time:
    Lines and fittings...4 at 46...184
    Service... 6 hrs at 65...390

Plus various little charges for unspecified 'shop supplies'

Its just a mess and I hate being in predicaments like this when DH is away. I am by no means a slouch when it comes to running the place while he us away, I just feel taken advantage of and really, really annoyed!

10. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Yeah, I SO would NOT be paying for that second repair! Wish I was a little closer - I'd take you to pick up hay AND give that mechanic a piece of my mind! [​IMG]

By the way, a little bird (actually, a quite large bird owner) told me that you are now in the baking business! Can I PM you about prices, what you offer, etc?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by