I Am Doomed- LOL

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mrwoodboat, Dec 29, 2012.

1. mrwoodboat

mrwoodboat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    So, I have been off for the holidays and kept riding past a local business that had all these 5 x 8 pallets sitting outside....so stopped by yesterday and was told I could have all that I wanted...
    My mixed flock has an EE roo and a couple of hens that I have been thinking I would like to separate and see how they fair...besides, my 4 x 12 coop was getting crowded with 10 birds in it and the smaller coop has my Buff Orpingtons growing out in it so I decided to build a 4 x 8 coop for the EE trio...

I need to put the roof on it tomorrow and it will be finished. Total expense to build so far has been $2.79 for some more nails. I do need to get 2 sets of hinges. I had 2x4 welded wire left from the other coops, the roof will be 5V metal from my shop that is left over, and the pallets have provided everything else.

Total length is 8' width is 4'- I enclosed 3' of one end and have a wooden floor plus 2 roosts and have 1 nesting box on the outside of the enclosure. I made the nesting box where you can open the top from outside and the whole box lifts out to clean.

I will post pix tomorrow when I have the roof on......

wow- what started with 9 little biddies is now a flock of 17 birds....LOL

2. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    It will only get worse. I started raising chickens this year, and i am planning on adding turkeys and peafowl to my flock. I also bought a rooster a month ago just so i can start hatching (eggs are in the incubator).This website gives you to many ideas haha

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]
    looking forward to the pics.

LOL you are in good company here. Most of us are DOOMED DOOMED I say.
    I started wanting a simple six and have 21 now.

4. HooverHenHouse

HooverHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Michigan
    Oh I want pictures, I have access to pallets galore...and in the Spring I am debating about building an additional coop for my layers...so I can buy more chickens. =)

5. Ehirning

Ehirning Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2012
    I started with a simple flock of four and now have 17.

6. chicken dude

chicken dude Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    where can you get those free palets? hoover hen house

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  7. jaybanana

jaybanana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2012
    Down Under
    I started with 5 (freebies), then got another 2, then a duck, then another 7 chickens! Mind you, 1 chicken has died, the duck got rehomed (after killing the chicken!) and 1 more is on its way out...... I would like to get some more, but need to work on some extra housing, and getting rid of some bad behaviours!

8. Ehirning

Ehirning Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2012
    I get my pallets behind a few stores. I found a local Petco who said I can have all I want. I haul my water (we live rurally), so I pick up about 20 per week. It's best to check with the store to see if you can have them. Sometimes they will want to sell them to you, other times, they'll give them away. Here's a link to my coop pics: https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/a/6216920/pallet-coop/.
    Good luck!

9. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    Yeah definitely ask first. I work at Lowe's and i can tell you right now they would not be happy with people taking the pallets. Pallets believe it or not cost $20 each. I would never have believed it until i worked at Lowe's.

10. HooverHenHouse

HooverHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Michigan
    I can get pallets from a family friend.....Would love to see pictures of yours mrwoodboat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by