I am down to one 5 year old hen now. Will she be ok on her own?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by urban-chick-mom, Jul 1, 2016.

1. urban-chick-mom

urban-chick-mom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    5 years ago I raised 3 backyard hens from 2 days old. One died at 1 & 1/2 years old. For the past 3 & 1/2 years I have had a White Leghorn and a Buff Orpington. Last Saturday Pearl(my leghorn) passed away and now Gladys is by herself. I decided a while ago that these were the last hens I would have so I don't want to get anymore to be companions to Gladys. I am wondering if she will be ok on her own or if I should find a good home for her so she can be with other hens. She always got picked on by Pearl so maybe she will like being alone? [​IMG]

.[​IMG]

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    While most birds prefer companionship, some do not adjust well to changes. Given lots of attention from you she may do better staying put than adjusting to a new home, especially since most folks are not interested in an older hen whose laying days are mostly past.

3. mysouthernbelle

mysouthernbelle New Egg

Jan 14, 2016
    As long as you give her lots of attention / treats and she keeps busy she should be fine

4. Calichicken2015

Calichicken2015 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with both comments! I had the same situation, including being picked on by the other hen! At one point I tried to get her a friend and she didn't even care that the other hen was there..LOL! We give our girl lots of attention daily and she is happy [​IMG] I would just watch her and see how she is acting.

5. urban-chick-mom

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Thanks for all the suggestions! It has been 2 weeks now and Gladys seems to be okay. I am giving her lots of attention and treats. I will keep an eye on her to see how she is adjusting.

6. urban-chick-mom

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Love your picture 1 muttsfan!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Be prepared for her to live a decade.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    :lol:

Thanks that was one of my little Cochin hatchlings in early teen gawkwardness.

9. Calichicken2015

Calichicken2015 Chillin' With My Peeps

My favorite stage..LOL! Awkward looking and full of sass!!!!

10. Kathyb2

Kathyb2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    I had a lone hen for about two years. She was fine. She actually was quite put out when I finally did get more chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by