I am excited

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ams4776, Jun 20, 2011.

1. ams4776

ams4776 Chillin' With My Peeps

So my LG didnt work for hatching to well. Have now determined it wasnt me lol. But tm my two chicks are gonna get 10 buddies. And to make it even better they are EE chicks for $2 each. Yay for craigslist on that one. They are the only chicks for sale close to me. Okay im just thrilled to be getting them and y'all are the only folks who would understand. New babies yay. [​IMG]
    Oh im looking into new incubators. Any suggestions that wont bust the bank?

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
  3. ams4776

Give me wood and im good to go. Add the electrical and ill probably burn the house down lol. I may see if i can find a way to modify the lg or get a different brand and use the lg for lockdown purpose.

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] Haha! Same here!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with your incubator, I hope all goes well and you have successful hatch rates! [​IMG]

5. ams4776

Thanks. Im just soo super excited to be getting EE chicks. Everyone i havr seen was like an hour drive one way. Dh was not pleased haha. So finding someone 10 min away with the chicks ive wanted is such a great deal.

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Crazy everyone hates the LG so, never had a problem with mine, 70%+ hatches every time...

It only spikes temps for me when the well is dry, -one well till day 18, two wells and some in the 'moat' for lockdown - the lack of humidity seems to make the thermostat go nuts...

also I have a computer fan switched to take wall current hooked up- it gets turned off (unplugged) 1st pip or lockdown, whichever first.

I am -egg-cited that you are getting -egg-actly what you want!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  7. ams4776

I have a fan in it...maybe i should try without. I dunno but my temps fluctuate pretty bad it seems. Had 2 outta 20 before and only 2 going to lockdown out of 18. But when i check my fertilization rates before eating eggs almost all are good. The biggest thing is i have no ac for summer so my house goes up and down in temps. So frustrating cuz id love to not buy another incubator

8. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:Can you put it where the temp change will be really really slow?

I have a fan but mine did not come naturally with a fan.

I also use (natural) cotton to plug my vents instead of the plastic and keep mine plugges throughout.

If the temps inside the house are within 15 degrees *F of the incubator I would fill both troughs/wells but not the moat to see if that helps.

Mines a good little unit - OH I just remembered- to set up I wait three days with a digital high/low thermometer (it records the high and lows) and I have wooden eggs in it- as many as I'm putting in real eggs- and have the water set up. I check the high and low not to be lower then 97*F or higher then 103*F before I put anything in for real...

somebody has a 'how to run a LG incubator' I'd read that one too.

9. ams4776

My temps stay in those ranges with a 30% humidity. I can't really do anymore hatches this year though. Not until dh is a bit more onboard with the chickens. Time will tell im still really new at the whole thing yet hahaha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by