I am feeding raw meat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kilby, Mar 2, 2012.

1. kilby

kilby Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so happy to be able to add the butcher's dog meat to my chicken's regimen. As we know chickens are omnivores.
    I gave them a couple tablespoons today. I have three star comets, 8months old.(they are five stars in my books[​IMG]
    I could tell they wanted more. Depends on how full there crops get by the end of the day. Mine is less fat than just meat scraps because he adds heart, hamburger and liver. Know your butcher well for handling, freshness and content. I got a deal where I pay .75/lb because it's in bulk.
    I can't see beef being bad for them so we shall see. I would not be feeding it unless fresh. No ecoli for my babes.
    Being cautious is the operative word and testing them would be like this. give them as much as they can eat at one sitting and then just split that up for the whole day next time. Same as you can do for meal worms where you don't know how much is fat and protein.
    I welcome any comments.

thanks

2. naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    I feed my dogs raw and during the winter the place I got deer scraps from has free range chickens that also eat the raw scraps. They claim it keeps them laying eggs all winter.

3. kilby

kilby Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes I bet. I kept mine warm enough to lay all winter anyway. Love your pic and your quote BTW.
    A funny video would be for when my stars try to steal a bone from my WGSD. They get their own bones now just in case. Re your pic: my neighbour found a discarded deer leg on his walk and left it in the yard for his dog and other critters to snack on. Poor poor deers.
    Never a dull moment around here.

4. naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    Thats what we do. Large parts get left in the yard for a few days.The picture in my avatar was one that lasted about a week. By the time I picked it up to throw the rest out it was only part of the back bone left.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by