I am finally a chickie mommy! YAY! OH NO!!! Now what?

LaneRae

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 17, 2009
Elkton, VA
roll.png
Well I couldn't help it any longer! I went to Tractor Supply and there they were. Peeking cute baby chicks!

I took the smallest weakest looking babies I could find. I know.... Hard place to start, but we are giving it a try.

I have 4 Red Comets (2 males and 2 females (pullets?)) and then they had another container of chicks labeled Columbian but another sign said Speckled Sussex so I have no idea how to tell what they are or how to tell them apart at this age. I can say they look a tad lighter and fluffier than the comet male chicks. If anyone has a guess please let me know, but we took 2 of them as well so we have 6 total.

Anyways.. we brought them home and cleaned out a 50 gallon rubbermaid troth well (it had only been used for a doggy pool), put down newspaper with horse pellets on top (wetted then down a tad), put up a nice waterer we purchased, a heat lamp (plenty of room to move close or away when needed) and a nice bowl of medicated (20% protein) starter.

They were chirping like mad and shaking at first, calmed down, all huddled under the lamp and took a nice nap, then I put the food in and dipped their beaks in the water and they all took a nice drink. They were pecking at the bedding instead of the food and so I made a beak looking head out of my hand and started making pecking motions in the food and they all ran over and immitated me. Some still were pecking outside the dish and so I sprinkled some food on the ground outside as well.

They are all looking perky and happy, eating, drinking and napping and but one they are all quiet. The one that chirps all of the time seems active and normal but as soon as wel put our hand in it runs right over and jumps on. Not sure if I should be concerned or if it is just a very social chick?

So there you have it! I have babies! I will try and get some pics tomorrow. I forgot to mention they are located in my 15 year old daughters bedroom! Ha! Good luck sleeping with the chirpy one going at it, but she insisted!

Any other info that can be given is appreciated. I especially was woried about putting hardware cloth down? It had been mentioned in some things I have read but didn't know if it was really needed?

Alayne

I am a newer duck owner and this website has been THE BEST for learning what to do. I am now addicted and follow as much as I can. Good luck and have fun!! I am so addicted I have a website pretty much devoted to the ducks. What are these birds doing to us??

Oh geesh... I am really bad! We have 22+ dogs, 1 rabbit, 2 hermit crabs and now 6 chicks. I have a feeling we have more bunnies, dogs, goats , mini donkeys and chickens to come? We have a mini-farm!
smile.png

Thanks so much and I hope now to ad my Orpingtons and Wyandottes I originally wanted.
smile.png

my only suggestion would be to keep in mind the dust that the little peepers will start to accumilate. we use the wood shavings and it was pretty over whelming, but maybe the larger pellets will help not give as much of a problem.

You are going to really enjoy watching them play and run around the brooder. they are quite amusing (I have 16chicks, 4-weeks old)

also something that alarmed us a day or two after we got them home, was one kept pecking and pestering the others. we realized after about a day of non stop aggrivating, that it's their pecking order, and (even though his size was slightly smaller than the others) he wanted to be top chickie. turns out he is a roo, and will probably be alpha once he grows up.

I am not sure of the actually size of horse pellets but I would put something in there that they can dust bathe in (mine love to) maybe a deep plastic container with something for the to do so in.

congrats!! and believe me any question you might have you will be able to either find it here or ask and someone will have an answer for you. cant' wait to see some pics of the little fuzz butts

I am about to take pictures and will post them on here in a new thread labeled "what color am I going to be? New Babie Pics"

Thanks so much for the info! About dust bathing. What do I put in the container? Do I need to provide them with grit? Are mealworms OK to give?

I gave them some grass today and they had a ball pecking at it.

I also have one Sussex that LOVES people! Every time we put it back with the others it Peeps and peeps until we walk back in and then it runs to the edge of the troth to us and steps right on our hand. We sit and watch TV with it and it naps on our shoulder covered in our long hair and takes naps there. As soon as we put it back though it peeps again. The other Sussex is almost as friendly but the Comets seem to be quite a bit stand-offish. I am sure they will come around?

Alayne

Quote:
Grit is a MUST HAVE if you plan to give them anything other than starter food. we include grit everytime we refill the jar of food, because you never know what they might peck at and eat, and they need to have the grit to digest it. so we try to stay safe and always put grit in their food. Mealworms, crickets, worms all are great! and hilarious to watch them play with and eat.

and on the friendly and stand offish chicks. from what I have read, some breeds are just like that. some are more proned to being more friendly than others that would rather be left alone.

Back
Top Bottom