I am finally joining this forum after years of perusing! You are my people!

babicombe

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 18, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm Trish and have kept a flock of 3-7 for about 14 years. I live on 1/2 acre near the ocean north of Santa Cruz, Ca. in the farm belt. Lots of predators here! And it's a fantastic place for chickens, if you have an electric fence! The fence, which I've only had 1 year, changed everything. It never fails, unless it's turned off.

I have 3 Araucanas and 3 Rhode Island Reds, the latter of which I just bought from a local pastured chicken farm. Great deal! 14 mos. old and laying - to replace the 2 Araucanas I thought the bobcat killed (fence was off!). But one showed up 6 days later!

I'm also a sea kayaker, avid whale watcher (from the kayak, on the Monterey Bay), surfer, and mountaineer. But chicken farming makes me really happy.

My boyfriend just ran electricity (for the fence) and water ( to be able to water plants I'll put in the chicken yard & freshen their water) to the coop and, well, I get excited about stuff like that!

Love to hear your questions, stories and remedies.

welcome-byc.gif

images

Wow, you get to watch whales! I have always wanted to see large groups of whales passing by. Enjoy them!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy all your adventures in life!

Back
Top Bottom