I am flaming mad at the vet.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by debilorrah, Apr 9, 2011.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mr. Yackers needed to be put down and Ken took him in. They charged $145 to put him to sleep. Not bad enough we have to lose our pet, but $145???? I am so mad at them, I cannot talk to them until next week. But they ARE going to hear from me.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG]

3. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    sorry you had to put Mr. Yackers down [​IMG] [​IMG]

But yeah $145 is alot. Our charges $40 and that is with a sedative.

4. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Nothing like a good kick in the stomach when you are already down... sorry Deb. [​IMG]

5. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Vet that do that really make me [​IMG] too!!!

6. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That does seem very high. Really sorry! [​IMG]

7. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    When we needed to take my tucker kitty in a few years ago, it was gonna be around $150. They claimed they needed to examine him first. what, he was 17 years old and was not gonna get better. Luckly, he died on his own a few hours later but I mean really.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:They are going to hear from me, when the waiting room is nice and crowded too. I need to be calm when I go in though, I can really make someone feel small when I need to. And this time I need to. I will ask for the person who set the fee structure. Then I am gonna let em have it.

9. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    If you do blast them for it, just be prepared to find a new vet. They can dismiss "difficult" owners.

Speaking with the office manager politely or the vet directly might give you better results (ie reduced fees if you are a long time customer). Maybe there was an error in the charge? And being rude to the front office staff (who have no control over the fees) will guarantee you don't get optimum service in the future.

Sorry about your loss.

10. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Sorry you're going through this. [​IMG]

We had a vet that went that direction back when I lived in Alabama. The vet had been owned and operated by the same man for decades; really cared about the animals more than the bottom line. He only charged about $80 to spay my Siamese. They even had 'special needs' cats that they kept on the premisis. Owners sometimes couldn't pay for treatment and just dumped their animals and walked away. One eyed cats, three legs, diabetic, etc. He kept and cared for them all. Then he retires and his sons take over. The first thing they did was significantly raise the prices on EVERYTHING. I never went back. Word got around fast and I started driving 20 miles to the Banfield and got an insurance policy for my cats.

Let your money do the talking if you can. Pay that last bill if you must and inform them that you will be transfering the care of any remaining animals to another clinic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by