I am freaking out ...this can't be right

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silverchick, Apr 7, 2012.

1. silverchick

silverchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    north of Eden
    I just got my first batch of chicks about 5 days ago ...doing the traditional infrared heat lamp @250 watts ( which is to much heat but can't find anything smaller locally ...will have to order one)

okay folks ...according to my electric bill, I'm paying $1.08 per kWh ...so, running this 250 watt infrared bulb is costing me 6 kWh a day which = 195 a month!!!?? WHAT! This must be wrong ...does anyone know what it costs to run one of these bulbs? $195 a month just for this is unacceptable ...I must be figuring something wrong. Here is how I calculated ...250 watts x 24 hours a day = 6000 watts; divide that by a kWh which is 1000 watts ( right?) & that is 6 kWh x $1.08 = $6.48 a day ...x 30 days in the average month = $194.40 ...
    even a 125 watt bulb is too much power ...that would run about $95 a month ...our usual bill is around $30 a month - I can't do this
    please someone tell me I did this wrong[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    :hmm Woah, there is NO way. Hold on let me kick my old brain on for a second I'll re-edit this once I figure it out. WARNING: This may take awhile lol.
    QP
    Oh by the way, Welcome to BYC ^^

OKAY so... found this website
    http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cost.html
    So I guess it depends on the state but....if you average out the the cents per kWh they should all be in the range of about 20 dollars per month. Am I doing this right? $20 vs. $115 ???

3. silverchick

Apr 4, 2012
    north of Eden
    I think I did something & I just figured it out ...I think what I thought was a $1.08 was not per hour, it was my daily cost ...so let me refigure this ...whew ...

4. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    My husband is an electrician, and we are running a 100 watt light bulb 24 hrs a day for 6 weeks and he calculated it would cost us about $75.00 after all is said and done. But I guess that all depends on our rate, etc.

5. silverchick

Apr 4, 2012
    north of Eden
    yeah - I looked at what I thought was the price of a kWh ...but it was our average daily cost ...so I divide that by the kilowatts we used ...about $0.22 cents a kWh ...that's sounds more like it ...so the light will run us about $1-1.20 a day ...I can deal with that ...but I do feel kinda foolish now - however happily so ...please feel free to delete this post if anyone can - I don't see how ...hopefully it will get buried real fast ...sigh of relief ...ahhh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by