I am furious!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 19Dawn76, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    My chickens free range during the day and are locked up at night. My closest neighbors allow their dogs to roam. this summer my across the street neighbor was walking by my house and his unleashed dog came into my yard and killed one of my Buff Orphington Pullets. He offered me one of his laying hens as payment. (his chickens are kept in a pen) The hen he brought me had balls of poo dried to her toes that had to be cut off and I think she had mites cause I ended up having to treat my whole flock not long after I got her.

This morning I heard one of my Welsummer/Ameracauna cross pullets screaming and lookd out in time to see the down the road neighbors dog run off with her in his mouth. I am mad because I was really hoping for some pretty olive speckled eggs form her next spring. I take off after the dog (in my robe) and knock on my neighbors door and tell him his dog is eating my chicken. The first thing out of his mouth is "Were they penned up?" I said no. He offered me one of his chickens. I declined. I have eggs coming out of my rear right now and his chickens won't lay Speckled green or blue eggs. Plus I am never bringing chickens into my flock again from outside flocks. He told me that next time I caught him in my yard to beat him. For SEVERAL reasons this is not going to happen. Really, it is just a bad idea. I did however inform him that I have a cattle prod and will be buying batteries for it.

Over breakfast my husband and I got into a VERY heated discussion about penning up the chickens at all times. He thinks that it si our job to keep THEIR dogs off our property. I think that just because something is out of a pen on our property that is not an invitation or a right for their dog to kill it. There are no leash laws out here,no animal control and if I called the sheriff i am sure I would be told to just shoot the dog. We have always gotten along with this family but I think that our views of this situation is going to cause big problems.

2. KMHunter

KMHunter [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Cr

Jun 12, 2009
    Woodinville,WA
    My Coop
    I know there is no leash law in a lot of areas, I believe that to be the case in our area too. And you are right, the sheriff will just tell you to shoot it. But you should be able to let your girls roam free in your yard. Do your chickens go over to his property? Probably not. I am one of those people that wil talk to the neighbors and let them know that it is thier responsibility and it's common curtesy to keep their animals on their property and that if I catch a dog harrassing my girls they may end up with one less pet. I don't like killing animals, so I would have to be very upset to do it, but I would do it if it was a big problem. It is not YOUR responsibility. I have one neighbor that tries really hard to keep their dogs in their yard, I would understand if it happened on accident, but the other neighbor doesn't watch their dogs very well and one of them is an escape artist. So I let her know that I have chickens and her dog was chasing them. If it happens again, I will let her know that the sheriff said I could shoot it if it came on our property again. Sorry this is really long, but I feel your frustration and anger.[​IMG] Why can't people be more responsible for their pets?[​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If you are unwilling to shoot the dog since your neighbor is obviously not going to do anything to keep it home, then building a pen for you chickens would seem to be the only alternative if you want to keep your chickens alive.

4. KMHunter

KMHunter [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Cr

Jun 12, 2009
    Woodinville,WA
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree with Katy, you have to be willing to do what it takes to take care of the problem. Whatever solution works for you. Good luck!

5. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

shoot it with a paint ball gun might be a thought
    i mean your neighbor

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  6. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    This has only happened once with both neighbors. I thought calling them the down the street neighbors and the across the street neighbors would help keep them seperated.

I am not going to accept the fact that I need to modify MY yard to keep his dog out of it. If my chickens go down to his property he is free to keep/kill it. If it happens again I am going to try to get it with the cattle prod. I am baking bread right now and am going to deliver it ( to BOTH neighbors) along with a price list for my chickens. My pullets are 30.00, cockrels 20.00. Laying hens are 50.00.

7. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:I agree........cause your neighbors are not gonna stop it. You have to be pro-active and keep your chickens safe. That's the risk you run when you free range in your yard without a fence.

That being said, i am very sorry for your loss and the cattle prod is animal abuse. Your better off shooting and killing the dog so you don't get charged!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by