I am getting a barred rock rooster what should I cross him with?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tenfairytoes, Jan 13, 2015.

1. tenfairytoes

tenfairytoes Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    I am getting a barred rock rooster, what should I cross him with to make something cool. I still want large eggs. I plan on crossing him with buff orpingtons. Should I try white ones too?

Whatcha think?

I really like the gold Marans but those prices I'd just sob if I lost one. (hence the cross I want to do getting that checked look) I have an owl and I am changing my whole coup because he makes me nervous and he's hit us 2x. I don't want that again. I also want blue Orpingtons but those prices too makes me sad. I don't show I just love my chickens of many colors frolicking in the grass.

Thanks!

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Interesting.
    Maybe try making the black sexlink,not sure what hes mixed with,I know its Br though.
    Maybe try a Production red,or australorp....

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You can't make a sex link with a barred rooster.

No matter what you put him over you're going to get mostly black barred chicks. The buff is a good color to cross with as buff can hold it's own against the black so the chicks may get some of both colors. But mostly you'll get black clicks with leakage and the males will have muddy barring.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Unfortunately - the barring gene in sex linked crosses has to come from the female side of the equation - so the barred rooster the OP is getting will not work for such crosses.

5. tenfairytoes

Mar 6, 2013
    soooo that's ugly? What could I put over the orpingtons to have something fun hatch?

6. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What do you consider "fun" - understanding the types of results you are looking for can help in offering how to obtain it. For example - are you looking for lacing, barring, splash coloration, blues -- on and on. The intricacy of genetics and what it takes to obtain some of those birds you covet are exactly why the pricing can seem so out of reach, because it takes a lot of dedicated breeding to get and maintain the colors/patterns that make the birds so desirable. Are the Orps the only hens you have and/or plan to have? Having more options on both sides of the equation can help in opening up the options for results.
    FWIW, lots of barnyard mixes, aka mutts, are some of the most interestingly colored and patterned birds.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  7. tenfairytoes

Mar 6, 2013
    splash, blue and lacing all sound fun!

I bought splash marans, blue orpingtons, easter eggers salmon faverolles a gold maran, and Welsummers.

My kids just love the egg color surprises and we like gentle birds. We handle them daily from when we get them so they all tend to turn out nice and friendly.

Hope that helps. OH I also LOVE blue laced red wyandottes, but I am going to get those locally.

I figure they are nice birds genetically, but we just play around on the farm for fun so that's hard to pay those prices when I don't do show or sell chicks. Makes sense if In it for different reasons.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  8. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Can you list the birds you have now (breed and gender)? I know you have somewhat of a list above, but that's just breeds, not genders and knowing what hens and what roosters you currently have is going to be very helpful in suggesting some crosses you might like.

9. tenfairytoes

Mar 6, 2013
    Oh they are all hens but that barred rock.
    splash marans
    blue orpingtons
    easter eggers
    salmon faverolles
    a gold maran
    Welsummers

I will get some blue laced red wyandottes and buff orpingtons's locally.
    That;s my list so I may end up with a BLRW Roo, pretty sure it'll happen.

10. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Well, like it was said before you will get a bunch of barred (black) birds. If you can wait a year and raise those chicks and then breed them together (sibling mating) next year then you will start to see variations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by