I Am Getting a Peahen (As Soon As My Neighbor Catches Her!)

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Catfsm, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Catfsm

Catfsm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2011
    West Lnn, Oregon
    The hen has been running around in my neighbor's back yard. My neighbor is wealthy and has a perfect lawn, etc. I have a tiny farm. So, the beautiful hen will be brought here.

Questions:

1. What is a good way to catch her. I brought my neighbor a dog crate, and she will put in some watermelon and see if that can lure the bird in. What has worked?

2. We have around 70 hens in a pasture area, along with 3 roosters, 4 goats, two mini and two regular Nigerians. We also have several bunnies. The chickens eat chicken food. The goats are wethers and eat mostly hay. I want to feed the peahen a higher protein diet, but do not want the piggy type goats to eat it. They will eat whatever there is. (So cute). I though of putting food for the peahen into a container on the roof of the barn where the peahen will get it and only one hen thinks she can fly up to. I can put a stool by the eave of the barn and stand on it to pour in food! What do you think? Also, with this question, would chicken food mixed with dog food work? What about chicken food and kitty food? We have kitty food for our kitties!

3. It would be OK for the peahen to go into the chicken coop, I think, but maybe not. What do you think? Could she live inside the little goat barn at night, if she is willing? Right now she is living on the roof of our neighbor's beautiful house. I realize where she goes will be up to her. I am concerned about whether she will get along with the chickens, will eat up their food if she goes in, and will hurt the goats. I just have never had birds but quail and chickens.

4. In winter here it is in the 40s a lot, with some days going into the 20s, but mostly not. It also rains a lot (North West Oregon). Usually we get one or two snow storms with up to around 6 inches of snow, which usually but not always melts in a few days. Will she be alright? In the barn, it is not heated (Goats do not need heat), and tends to be warmer. It is not windy in there due to having the opening the opposite direction of most of the wind. I think it opens on south. She may not stay there. There is a two by 4 sized wall that divides the goat sleeping area from the human viewing area in the little barn (15 by 10 are the dimensions I made.)

5. Any hints about how to prevent her from flying away? I already love her, though I have only seen her once briefly.

2. Abriana

Abriana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2017
    From my blue coop
    How to catch a peacock:
    Way no. 1: Corner peacock in a shed or barn and corner it, grabbing it by the legs, never the feathers, which may pull out.
    Way no. 2: Use a very large fishing net and drop it over the bird's head and breast before grabbing the legs.
    Whatever method you use, peacocks have very sharp beaks and claws. Take this into mind when catching the bird! (I got this information from The Illustrated Guide to Ducks and Geese And Other Domestic Fowl How to Choose them and How to Keep them by Celia Lewis)
    Sorry I can't offer more advice, I don't know much about peahens or peacocks!

3. williamsingr1

williamsingr1 Just Hatched

Sep 3, 2017
    Using a blanket catch her on her roost at night using a flashlight as a distraction, use cantaloupe or sunfower seeds as bait and set a live trap on a trip wire or put a mirror in the back of the cage where she is roaming and when she sees herself she will investigate the other bird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by