I am getting a poodle puppy -- **Picture Added**

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
I am going to get a little poodle puppy hopefully Friday. I want to be able to groom her myself, can anyone give me any tips or names of books to read, to learn how to cut poodles properly? Thanks!!

I will post pictures of her if I get her.

Last edited:
I had a toy poodle years ago. I had her groomed sometimes and other times I did it myself. I couldn't tell you the proper way to clip as I'm not a groomer. I did find it helpful to keep her face clipped short, she tended to have weepy eyes and it was much easier to keep after when the hair was short. I always left her ear hair long and the top of her head also, the groomers' did that too it was very cute. When doing it myself I used the same setting on the rest of her body except the end of her tail, the groomers' tended to shave her paws pretty short and sometimes painted her nails lol. My mother has a little mix right now, I think she's nonsense & something but she tends to have a messy butt if it's not clipped short back there. I'm sure you'll do just fine, just remember it'll grow back
smile.png

Oh, I forgot to mention, my poodle was not a puppy when I took her in. She was always calm and well behaved and patient with me when I gave her a haircut. My mothers' dog is a holy terror, she's a growly, snappy little snit lol. I would venture to guess someone gave my girl very positive experience when she was a puppy, it might be worth it in the long run to have your pup start out with a very
puppy friendly groomer to get her started.

Good luck and don't forget the pics!

You can read everthing you can get your hands on, and talk to groomers but in the end you are just going to have to do it for a while before you really get it down. I have a mutt that is about 40 pounds who I groom myself every 6-8 weeks. It was a disaster in the beginning, but atleast he is comfortable at home with me doing it. He's now 5 and I can finally give him a decent haircut!

Ive had my bichons for 12 years now and i still can't give them nice haircuts. So they just get buzzed twice a year. Oh and my male gets a mohawk.

It's very hard to trim poodles well. We have 4 mini poodles. Once a year we do a full body clip, usually in the summer, but we do it in the winter if they are being bred. For this we use an Andis livestock clipper with a sheep sheering blade on it. To do a simple kennel clip you will need a GOOD pair of precision trimmers. I would buy something meant for livestock that has a small enough blade to get in the tight spots. We use an Oster Mini cordless trimmer but IMO get one that can be corded or cordless because the battery powered ones are no reliable on the longterm.

I found the puppy that I am getting. Here is a picture of her. I am picking her up in 2 weeks. I can hardly wait.

I think I am going to name her Lola.

puppy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom