I am getting a pot bellied pig need advice

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by nstamper2000, May 4, 2009.

1. nstamper2000

nstamper2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    HUDSON NC
    I am getting a pot bellied pig and I want to do as much research and get as much advice before I get one. I plan on getting a baby and yes I plan on keeping it inside and outside. We have a place made for it outside. I have done lots of research on them but would love input from people who have them. Thanks in advance for all of your advice.

2. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    What would you like to know?

I am a new PBP owner, so may not be as helpful as some others, but I can try and help some!

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I don't know that much about potbellies, but I can tell you this. If you have it in the house, never ever let it find out that food is in the fridge. What an unsupervised pig can do the the contents of the refrigerator has to be seen to be believed.

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I have two PBPs and can help you with any questions. I will tell you that both my girls are a lot of fun and both are loving to people. I have a minor problem with my youngest one and my dogs but the dogs started it. Mine do know where the fridge is but I havent had any problem there except for begging. [​IMG]

Just PM me if you need to cause I can talk all day about my girls.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  5. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    My neighbor across the cotton field has lots of them. They just run around the 20 acres like they own it. They occasionally come over here when all the fruit trees have fruit. They are so cute. They make good pets as far as I have seen.

I don't really think there is a special treatment. Just treat 'em like a pig [​IMG]

6. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    i want a pot bellied pig too and i want one that is litter box trained

7. wyndski

wyndski Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    I know someone who had one that lived on their screened in porch with the dogs. Went outside to go to the bathroom with them. knew a few tricks even. You do have to be careful on feeding them. They are not made to get too fat since they are on little legs, that will cause a lot of health problems. Also while this pig was house trained really well, when she got old enough to breed she did start peeing inside. They ended up making her a outside pen and just bringing her inside sometimes.

8. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    I have a pot bellied pig named Princess Willow and she is a doll. She has a horrible time with weight gain however and it is sad that she was bred to get so fat. It is hard on their legs and eyes.

Research breeders that have the smaller pigs. Try to see the parents and see what age they are. You want to make sure that there is as little of barnyard hog in them as possible. It is hard to get a totally purebred. You want the smaller ones just for their health.

I have heard that they ALL get big and have trouble with weight. I only know that mine did and its hard to ration their food. They want to eat and you have to keep it down for their health. (obviously you don't starve them)

There is also potbellied pig food that is supposed to help... but Willow hates it!

There are blue eyed pot bellied pigs out there and they are soooo cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by