I am getting a slimy albumen like substance on some of my eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cutlass1972, Jan 5, 2010.

1. cutlass1972

cutlass1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Recently I started getting a slimy sticky albumen like substance on some of my eggs. I am talking like enough that I see it running out of the drain holes I drilled in the bottom of my nest boxes. It makes "stuff" stick to the outside of the shells like it was glued on.

Could it be that I have one hen laying shelless eggs and eating the yolk? do chickens sometimes have some sort of discharge when they lay?

I have had them since March and have never seen this before, it is a new development in the last 3 weeks.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    maybe the eggs are cracking and leaking? Where are you?

3. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    If I get eggs right after they are laid, they have discharge. It dries after awhile. It's possible that you have an egg eater but I think you would have more physical evidence (like staining etc....) inside the box.

4. cutlass1972

cutlass1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    I am pretty sure they are not cracking and leaking, it is a lot of albumen and the effected eggs are pretty thoroughly coated with an even layer.
    I thought of an egg eater, but wouldn't I see bits of shell and at least smears of yolk? This is only clear sticky fluid that glues yucky bots of substrate to the eggs.

I am in Cynthiana, KY.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by