I am getting black copper marans!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by americana-chick, Dec 30, 2009.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Thats right, 3 black copper maran hens and 1 black copper maran rooster! I am so excited and surprised that they are selling the black copper instead of the cuckoo marans.. And the best part is i am getting them for free! I have seen these birds before and the people i am getting them from are breeders and just didnt like this breed and she wants them to go to a good home. But i am in a delima... i dont know if another rooster will mix good with my flock so the big question is.. if the new rooster and my older roosters dont get along which one do i sell? my big white wyandotte rooster or this new black copper rooster? I thought about the good and the bads about the both and i am thinking that if i keep this black copper maran i will have some pure bred chicks but on the other hand the white wyandotte was a rescue bird... He has been really nice to me so far and the other roosters and who knows how this new rooster will do as he has been in breeding pens all his life and never experienced a one on one with another rooster.
    I will definatly post pictures when i get them!
    Any thoughts?
    ~Bri

2. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    [​IMG] Keep the Black Copper Marans rooster. You'll need him to keep the line going. I'm sure he's worth more too!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Absolutely!

4. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Quote:Absolutely!

I agree, if you need to you may have to build a separate coop and pen for them but that way you can be 100% positive of pure breed as well.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  5. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    It will be hard for me to part with this white rooster.. but i just might..
    I will wait and see how the chickens do all together first. I am just hoping the new rooster wont have to bad of a fight with the old roos when they first see each other. I hate how roosters have to fight to make the pecking order. [​IMG]

6. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    My roos all get along fine as long as they are free ranging. They will even roost together at night but I would never lock them up together or it would be trouble! Wait and see how it goes...you may be surprised! Blessings, Keri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by